"Paddle faster, I hear bluegrass"

What does this bumper sticker MEAN?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 9:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Deliverance. Watch it. You'll know!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think it is probably a joke pertaining to the movie "Deliverance" with Ned Beatty, Burt Reynolds and Jon Voight.  I don't recall all the storyline but the one part that everyone remembers is the 2 "hillbillies" telling Ned Beatty's character to squeal like a pig as they rape him in the woods. In the movie a banjo was playing before the main characters came across the 2 locals. Anyway, that would be my take on it.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The bluegrass people are coming run! LOL My grandpa was a banjo player so in my house it would be grandpa banjo eddie is coming!
    j45505

Answer by j45505 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I did watch it. I still don't know though - I can't tell if folks are putting it on their cars to mean hillbillies really and truly need to be feared, or if it more of an irony. I've even seen people AT bluegrass festivals with this on their Tshirts, so I really think it's irony - but I have friends who say it really means the person thinks hillbillies are all like the ones in Deliverance. So we're in a chronic debate over it. Thought I would poll cafe moms lol!!!
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Its a joke. And actually not accurate. I believe the song they are playing in that movie is "Dueling Banjos"..which I thought was just a country song...not necessarily blue grass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• anon, that song was actually written for the movie! (random piece of irrelevant trivia for you there!)
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Maybe it means they really like bluegrass music and are hearing it played nearby.
    grammawjo

Answer by grammawjo at 10:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Not sure but I do love bluegreass music
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Actually, FelipesMom...no it was not...

"Dueling Banjos" is an instrumental composition by Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith made famous by the 1972 motion picture Deliverance. The song was composed in 1955 by Smith as a banjo instrumental he called "Feudin' Banjos". Smith recorded it, playing a four-string plectrum banjo and accompanied by five-string bluegrass banjo player Don Reno. The song went to #2 for four weeks on the U.S. pop chart in 1973 and topped the adult contemporary chart for two weeks the same year.[1] It also led to a successful lawsuit by the song's composer, since it was used in the film without his permission.
    Anonymous

• Thanks anon! I wish you hadn't posted anon - I'd visit your page and ask you how you came to have such a wealth of knowledge! My mom told me it was written for the movie when I was visiting her and watching the movie with her recently - and I just believed her. Thanks!
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011