What do you think about Freegans?

I would think that in these times of cutbacks on FS and jobs that more people would be turning to this. Though illegal (trespassing) in some states (like California) it is ignored in others like Florida people are arrested. What are your thoughts on this? Would you resort to it? .
Freeganism is an anti-consumerist lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans "embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed." Freeganism involves choosing to salvage discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters, known as 'dumpster diving'.

The word "freegan" is a portmanteau of "free" and "vegan"; freegans are not actually vegetarian, the "egan" comes from vegans who cite ethical rather than health reasons for not eating or using animal products. Freeganism started in the mid 1960s, out of the antiglobalization and environmentalist movements. The movement also has elements of Diggers, an anarchist street theater group based in Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco in the 1960s, that gave away rescued food

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 9:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it sounds like a former name -- hippy! Or Vagabond or whathave you... people have always done this and I don't see the problem as long as they are being responsible and not creating children to support with these type of lifestyle tactics that don't have a steady supply of shelter, food or water.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• TO THE OP: No, I do not see that this should be illegal. The illegal thing to me is that the food cannot be recycled to shelters and food banks or just given to people in need.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Reduce and reuse before you recycle - that alone is reason enough to applaud what they do. A lot of people talk the talk, very few actually walk the walk.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:50 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have no problem with people taking things from dumpsters if they want. I believe if it has been put into the outdoor trash bin, then it has been discarded. In our city, if you take it to the curb, then it is free for the taking. Lots of people set out old furniture and it "disappears" overnight.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• OK. But if you & your family are starving due to having lost your job and FS not giving you enough to feed the kids, do you feel that dumpster diving for food that has been rejected (due to brusing or aging- like black bananas [which can be cooked & made into breads]) or just tossed due to being over the sell by date is wrong? Especially if you stay away from dangerous items like dairy, meats (incl fish/eggs) and premade meals?
    That is my questions. Should this be illegal?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• There are people that have been doing this for years. Hippies, frugal people, vagabonds, runaways, just to name a few. I would guess that we all see it differently. To me, they are just using useful products that companies throw away. Restaurants and various companies are not allowed to open the door and hand this food and stuff out to them. That is the law. So, dumpster diving is necessary.....
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• What foreverb3 said. I agree.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Great for them but not for me.

The stores do throw away a lot of good food and if you get there at the right time why not.

I worked at a store where we did give away the food but them the people started to get more demanding and started to make things ugly so they stopped.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• As long as they are being safe about the items they take, I don't really care.

We used to have a store in my hometown that purchased dented canned goods and boxed items from larger grocery chains. You could get a can for half it's original price. I shopped there quite often. Same food, the packaging was just less asthetically pleasing. Whoop-dee-doo.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• A lot of people around here believe that this would just lead to more people dumpster diving and not buying- even those who can afford to. Thus this should be illegal or at least restricted so that the stores aren't put out of business. Thoughts?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011