Toilet Seats Up/Down...Whose Job?

A common complaint about me is that they do not put the toilet seat up. Today I read one lady wrote about how "they put it up, why can't they put it down?"

And that got me to thinking...

We expect men to raise the seat to pee and then lower it when they are done. Yet why? So we don't have to lower it ourselves? Are we really that lazy? We belly-ache about how the man is too lazy to lower it...what does it say about us? It's not like it takes more time or effort or energy for us to do it than it takes them. Men have to raise the seat to do their business, why should we get off the hook without doing anything? The toilet's "normal" state can be with the seat up as well as with it down....

Thoughts?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• TRUE BUT MY THEORY IS U PUT THINGS BACK THE WAY U FIND IT AND IF THE SEAT IS DOWN THEN PUT IT BACK DOWN WHEN UR DONE
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I never understood why woman would get soooo upset aboutthis. i never cared if I had to put the seat down. But now I have a problem of him not putting it UP to pee. And not cleaning up after himself. Now that is annoying b/c I end up sitting in pee spittles. makes you wonder...if we peed on the seat, and they sat in it, how would they feel? would they even care????
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Lol, I don't mind whether it is up or down, if it is up I put it down. I do have a funny story though, lol. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought for sure I wasn't going to make it to the toilet (I had to pee so bad) well, it was dark of course so, I quickly found the toilet and didn't even think to check the toilet seat. I sat down and my my whole butt went right into the toilet water, lol! After I got that all fixed and was able to pee, I ran into the bedroom and hit my husband over the head with my pillow. He laughed when I told him what happened. :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well I'm glad I'm not the only person who at night was in a hurry to go pee, go to sit down, only to find the toilet seat was up. My butt touched the water. Boy did I feel like an idiot. So I check to make sure the toilet seat is down before I sit.
    downsznmomof4

Answer by downsznmomof4 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• We expect men to raise the seat to pee and then lower it when they are done. Yet why? So we don't have to lower it ourselves? Are we really that lazy?

--

We expect EVERYONE in the house to put the lid (and seat) down. Not only for safety, but if you flush the toilet while the lid is up you allow more bacteria and other germs to enter the air (a single toilet flush with the lid up can send contaminated mist all over your bathroom). It's healthier to put the lid down every time. If everyone puts it up (either the lid or lid and seat for guys) when they use it AND puts BOTH the lid and seat down before they flush, there are no problems--no battles between the sexes, and everyone is safer.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I NEVER leave the seat up for safety reasons. I also have taught all my children to lower it (as well as the husband). Not only does it avoid the problem of something accidentally falling in (had this happen...was NOT pretty...plumber had to take the toilet off the base because a bottle of makeup got stuck in the bend) also when you flush germs fly around the room. You want fecal matter on your toothbrush? Read about it. If you keep your toothbrushes within 6 ft of the toilet & its flushed, lid up, you WILL contaminate your toothbrushes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think everyone should shut the LID and everyone can lift the lid and/or ring to do whatever needs doing, then they need to SHUT THE LID. Problem of "seat up or down" solved. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Whose JOB? Well let me see here....when you get something out do you leave it out or do you put it away? Or do you expect its someone else s JOB? Everyone should shut the whole lid, seat thing down EVERY TIME they use the toilet. Its part of the process. The CORRECT state of a toilet is seat down, lid shut. You use it, you put it back to the state it is supposed to be in. Its TACKY TACKY TACKY to leave your toilet seat up or lid open. And NOT sanitary.
    Anonymous

• It needs to be down.. for saftey if anything else, kids animals.... toys lol
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It's a polite and gentlemanly gesture, much like openning doors. I expect it from my husband and my son.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011