Chewing?

Our boxer is about 6 months old and still has a propensity to want to chew. We correct her when we catch her but at times she flies under the radar. She has bones and toys to chew on and we kennel her when we are not home, any other suggestions? Having had smaller dogs in the past it was never a huge issue before and the chewing was minimal.

2boysnaprincess

Asked by 2boysnaprincess at 9:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Hide your shoes and hide anything that she likes to get behind your back. I think there is a spray that can be used on things that you know she gets that can't be put up. She may need more walks.
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 10:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• She has plenty of time outside. We live in the country so she gets free reign of the yard and her and our other dog play all the time. She is chewing on furniture and that is not sitting well with me or dh. Esp. when she is chewing the handmade log desk my dh made.
    2boysnaprincess

Comment by 2boysnaprincess (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My miniature pomeranian has ALWAYS been an aggressive chewer. Everyone always said she would outgrow it. Well, she never did. She's 4 yrs old & still loves to chew. It is a natural thing for dogs. So, instead of focusing on the chewing itself, focus on the WHAT she/he is chewing. I had to start out with a wide variety of bones & toys. I also bought a spray at the pet store that you spray on anything you don't want them to chew on. It's called Grannick's Bitter Apple. I haven't had to use it since she's grown. It's a natural spray that is very bitter. And, it doesn't hurt anything you spray it on. You can spray it on wood, fabric, shoes, anything she/he likes to chew that shouldn't be chewed. It's even used for dogs & cats that have the habit of licking/chewing on themselves. It's great stuff & helped me TONS. Allowable "chewies" should be a WIDE variety as they like to change it up. Esp. puppies.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Sounds like she is teething. All normal behavior. Try the spray.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• bitter apple spray is a good idea. It's also a good idea to take her on walks. It sounds like she gets plenty of exercise but she needs focused activity and that's what she will get from a walk. Dogs are intelligent and crave mental stimulation. When they don't get it they will turn to bad behaviors (chewing on the wrong things, digging, jumping, etc.). You also have a working breed. These dogs can often become destructive if not given a job. Try buying a doggie backpack and putting one or two water bottles in each side when you go on a walk. She will focus on carrying that water for you (sounds odd I know, but it works) and be thrilled that you have given her a job to do. Another way to give her some mental stimulation is to make her toys more challenging. A kong full of peanut butter is usually a good trick. Another one I always recommend is taking an empty soda bottle and some small dry treats or dog food and poke holes in
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• the bottle big enough for the treats to fall out of. She will love trying to get the treats out and hearing the noise it makes.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011