Sleep!

My 2 month old son usually takes regular naps through out the day. Depends on the day but he does for the most part as long as he's laying on me and I walk him around. However, when night comes he wants no part of it even when he's tired. I'll give him a bath, read/sing to him and rock him around and he'll fall asleep for a short moment, then wake right back up. He does this until about 10-11pm, sometimes midnight. And I try to start the routine around 7-8pm to give it a few hours and he just fights the sleep. I had to sleep with him in the rocking chair last night for a few hours because when I'd stop moving he woke right up. Anyone else have this problem?

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 10:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gosh I feel for you, even more so if you're a working outside of the home mommy I know how precious every minute of sleep is :) We've been so lucky so far our 2 boys now 8 and 6 have been perfect sleepers, they'll sleep anywhere and now our 2 month old daughter is the same. I will admit I have fallen asleep while burping her after her one feeding during the night, as I did with my others, it freaked me out when I woke up. My daughter loves the swaddle me sleep sacks, its comforting for her, maybe you could try that? Although IMO 10 or 11 at night until 5-7am for a 2 month old does not sound all that bad, I would still consider myself lucky :) Good luck.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try co-sleeping. It worked for me!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Co-sleeping seems to be the latest thing to "try". However, there was a news story the other night about co-sleeping parents. A dad rolled over in his sleep and smothered their 2 month old baby. And, before anyone says "Oh, that would never happen to me. I would know if I rolled over on my baby!", well, this guy didn't think it would ever happen to his family either.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It's pointless to try to keep him awake during the day. That just leads to an overtired baby who sleeps less. Try starting the bedtime routine a bit earlier. He may already be too tired to sleep properly. Although at 2 months it's still common for babies to have late bedtimes.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:07 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Sounds like maybe you need to keep him awake more during the day to help him get his clock turned around. If he is kept awake more during the night, he will be more likely to sleep at night.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try to stop walking and rocking to get him to sleep. He's spoiled already. Let him stay awake until he's tired enough to fall alseep without you. The more you keep him awake during the day, the more he will sleep at night. By 1 month, my youngest was sleeping from 10 or 11pm until 5am. I was eternally grateful.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I had this problem with my first son but then I started keeping him up during the day. Like not letting him take naps long. Putting him on the floor so he can look around, and if he would cry I would not pick him up until he stopped crying.
    Don't keep doing what you are doing because he already sounds spoiled so you want to stop that right away or it will just get worse!!
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Trust me, I try to keep him awake, it's not happening. When he's tired he'll sleep and if not he'll be very cranky and cry. When he naps during the day it's not often and not for long either. He sleeps at night, just doesnt fall asleep until 10-11 usually. He knows the difference between day time naps and bedtime. I just prefer to go to bed earlier on the week days.

All babies are different. He doesn't sleep unless he's rocked to sleep and with me, which is fine. It's how he's comforted. There's no such thing as spoiling a 2 month old, no matter what people believe. My pediatrician says so as well, give him what he wants now and it'll pay off in the end. I've already noticed it a bit already. Once he falls asleep at night he's out until 5-7am. He wakes up every few hours to eat because he nurses but goes right back to sleep until the morning. Sine we co-sleep he nuzzles me to wake up for a feeding, no crying, its great.
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• that depends on the person. it does happen but my son sleeps on my chest so theres no rolling on him. I'm a light sleeper and know all of his movements. Also, i have one of those beds for babies specifically for co sleeping that has sides on it. When done properly co sleeping can prevent SIDS according to the American Pediatric Association
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• if your son is sleeping on your chest, then you aren't following the "safe" rules of cosleeping. Whether or not you have a cosleeper, if you don't use it and he sleeps on you then it isn't safer.
    Anonymous