When to stop the bottle

Can you stop the bottle at 9 months? I don't have a baby, my dd is older so I am clueless about this. My friend's baby had to be off the bottle due to a surgery (10 days off). She is 8 1/2 months old. She said she is not giving her the bottle back since it is only for a few months. Does this mean she can give formula from a sippy cup? Am I missing something..I was surprised to hear this but I'm assuming its possible to quit the bottle this early. She just posted this on fb and I'm curious..can she be on only solids now or formula would be given from a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She can absolutely feed formula in a sippy, as long as baby takes it. It's most common to keep using the bottle until about 12 mos, but if the baby is still getting the proper amount of formula, it doesn't need to be coming from a bottle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Of course she can have formula in a sippy, no different than a bottle. Bottles aren't needed once a child can drink from a cup
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:26 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Thanks! I was wondering how that would work but I didnt want to ask!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• As long as they are getting the formula they need, it doesn't matter what they drink it out of. Some books recommend starting the weaning process at 6 months to prevent bottle rot. For my child that was way too young, but every child is different :)
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• As long as she is getting the proper amount of formula a bottle isn't necessary. My daughter at 9 months saw my son using a sippy cup and would cry if given a bottle. We switched her to a sippy and had no issues!
    Taphonie

Answer by Taphonie at 10:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• One of my kids self-weaned from the bottle at almost 9 months - she preferred having her formula from a sippy cup. Nothing wrong with going off the bottle early as long as they're still getting the formula (or breastmilk) they need in a day.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your doctor they told me not to put formula in my baby's bottles but every doctor is different
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2011