Writing Papers.

I am going to college and next year I will have English Comp and I am have a hard time putting my thoughts to paper. Or giving one idea to a story. I did ok in Intermediate Writing but I heard that English Comp is more into writing papers.
So I just wanted to know what can help me or what helped you to be able to write your thoughts onto paper.

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in

• Writing papers is a necessary part of college. Even Science majors need to write papers. I can understand your anxiety. I assume you are younger than I am (I am 64 next month). There has not been as much emphasis on writing essays and papers in high school more recently, so you may not have had as much experience. First, you will need to organize your thoughts. If you are assigned a topic, make an outline. One thing to remember is there are three parts of a paper: the introduction, the body of the paper, and the summary. In the introduction, you tell them what you will be writing on. In the body, you tell them what you are writing on. In the summary, you recapitulate what you have told them (in different words). So, you need to organize your thoughts, outline what you want to write about, then write about it. Once you have gotten the first one back from the professor, take all his/her advice for the next papers.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 10:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If you have a writing center at your college for writing help, take full advantage of it. It can be extremely helpful. If it is a research paper, then make sure when you are doing your research, you take careful notes for your documentation. As a college student (both undergrad English and grad history), I had to write lots of papers, as well as a 85 page thesis. GOOD LUCK!!!
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 10:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Start a journal. Daily writing improves with time. Just start writing what happened today and how you felt. Pretty soon, you will notice that you are able to express better how you felt. You can also put down how you could have reacted differently. Or notice people around you. How do they talk to each other? Describe it. What about that driver that cut you off? Why did he do it? How did it make you feel? Write it all down. You will get better. You just need to get the juices flowing.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• See if the university has a writing center, or a tutoring center

Answer by rkoloms at 2:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Read frequently (newspaper and magazine articles) so you can learn about the flow of good writing in an essay. Before writing, jot an outline or list some of the ideas you want to express so that you can be better directed and organized. Start writing by focusing on the weekly journal topic CafeMom suggests. I think, if you keep up with it weekly, you will see your writing improve. I already have, and the last journal I wrote was much better than the first.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 2:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I agree with CoffeeWriter. Just practice your writing with a blog. Try to be grammatical with correct spelling. Also the writing center will be your friend
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Contact the writing center of the college you go to. You should get help from them. Writing is a process that starts with brainstorming. Just writing all your ideas on a piece of paper, then picking 3, then expanding on the 3, then expanding those 3, then writing a thesis statement, then writing the paper.

Also, check out Purdue Universities writing lab. It's amazing. www.purdue.edu Look for the tab "Office Writing Lab".

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• make sure you have plenty of time a good place for you to write and someone to review your paper
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 12:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011