Any tips on how to teach your toddler to use a straw?

I've tried multiple times to teach my ds how to drink out of a straw with no luck LoL any advice because I'd like him to learn.

jspenny2705

Asked by jspenny2705 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make a sippy with a spill proof straw, so if he's used to tipping the cup, he'll figure it out. My son will be a year old next week and he uses a straw sippy during the day and only at night he'll get water in a regular sippy cup.
    kandimomma

Answer by kandimomma at 3:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I didn't mean to sound mean. It wasn't meant to be. Sorry. Maybe have him "kiss" the straw. Like, have him do a kiss while the straw is in his mouth?
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't know if it actually helped any, but we would pull the straw out of the drink with a bit of liquid in it and put it in my son's mouth. He would suck the little bit of liquid out. We started doing it when he was about 7 or 8 months old. By the time he was a year old, he was using a straw occasionally. We're doing the same thing with my daughter.

It could just be coincidence, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try if you want.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Just keep giving it to him. He'll do it by accident at first. Don't push it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Why the push to get him to drink through a straw? It will come with time. He's most likely too young to grasp the concept of conciously sucking in through his mouth. It's been an instinct up to this point. Like the PP stated, he will do it by accident one day & then think it's the most novel thing to do from that day forward!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• He's already done it once when he was a tad younger, so I know he can do it and I don't have him try too often just wondering if anyone has some mommy secrets LoL
    jspenny2705

Comment by jspenny2705 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• not pushing lol
    jspenny2705

Comment by jspenny2705 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No offense taken =]
    jspenny2705

Comment by jspenny2705 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Just keep trying. It's true that they'll figure it out on their own, even if it's an accident that they do it right the first time. Once they figure it out do themselves, they'll repeat it. I can't remember when we first introduced straw cups, but I believe it was somewhere around 12 months (maybe just before or after).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Put your finger over the top of the straw while it's in the liquid, then take it out, put the opposite end in his/her mouth and take your finger off the other end. The liquid will dribble into his/her mouth. It doesn't take more than a couple of times for them to realize what to do with it.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2011