How do you say "mind your business" politely?

My dh's father is quite the critic, everything we do for our son in some way he finds a way to find a problem with it. If he was around more and maybe if his complaints made sense, I'd be fine but he only started having a relationship with my husband 5 years ago. We barely know him and he's anal about every little thing. My husband just wanted to meet and let that be the extent of it but now his father wants to be in our lives and my husband isn't interested. What do you think dh should do to get him off our backs?

jspenny2705

Asked by jspenny2705 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• He just has to tell him that he screwed up and its too little too late, and that neither of you appreciate his pushyness. My dhs dad wasnt around him either and then came to stay with us for "two weeks" which turned into 2 yrs. In the end it ruined the relationship even more because he too was pushy. He even tried to spank my child (his grandchild) which we do not do in our home. Just tell dh to end it now before it gets any worse, our situation got down right ugly.

Answer by gemgem at 12:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• He could just tell him that he is capable of handleing his own child and that he really doesn't need his fathers help.
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 11:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think "mind your own business" is fairly polite, considering.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Could he just say..."I am not interested or wanting to have a relationship with your at this time."?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:20 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Mine isn't polite, forgot that part, sorry
    meooma

• You could say "I know you mean well but we are going to try _____ for now. "
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• LOL ... Don't answer the phone until you are prepared to have a relationship with him. OR Just tell him upfront that you are not interested in his parenting tips. Tell him you have a right to do what you feel is best for your child. Not being upfront with him will just make you REALLY resent him...
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• maybe when he wants to get together you can say you are busy and then it will start to fade off without hurting his feelings. Or when you are around him and he does say something say that we like doing it this way or comment on what he says that you are happy with how you are doing things good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 11:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Where was he in your husband's life before 5 years ago? I would just tell him he wasn't there when your husband was growing up so he has no right to tell you how to raise your own child.
    grammawjo

Answer by grammawjo at 12:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I agree with the previous post - where was he in your dh life before? NOW he wants to come in and get so pushy? I am all about being right up front and direct and saying......Thanks for your input but I didn't ask or I am not interested in moving this relationship ahead. In this case honesty and directness is probably required because this guy - in his mind - is probably trying to make up for lost time in some twisted way.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011