What can be done about rising food prices?

If you live on Social Security you know that no Cost of Living has been given for two years. Yet everything is higher now.

grammawjo

Asked by grammawjo at 11:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Nothing can be done about those prices. Contact your local church, foodbank, or Meals on Wheels to help with yours.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:49 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The weather has also caused the prices to go up. Not just the economy.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It's not just the economy, it's the weather too. But, there isn't anything you can do other than growing your own fruits and veggies. You can also go to food pantries, etc. If you have social security, you may be able to get foodstamps to help out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I've noticed the price increase as well. I shop at the commissary on base where their prices are normally way cheaper than grocery stores and walmart but these days some stuff is just as expensive. Like meooma said, you should be able to find a food bank especially at a church that will supply you with plenty of food
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 11:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Watch sales and eat more frugally. I no longer buy meat at the grocery store - we buy it once every 12-18 months, the whole animal directly from the farmer, and have it slaughtered to our specifications. In the past we've always split it 2-4 ways with others, but either way it cost us so much less in the long run. I buy in bulk when things we use frequently are on sale - last fall one store had an incredible cereal sale (it was pretty much free) and I bought over 70 boxes, only spent about $15 total for them. I have 4 kids who eat like teenage boys and I feed all 6 of us for sometimes only $100/month.
    Anonymous

• I recommend tracking every dollar you spend for a month and seeing where your money goes. A lot of the times doing this can show you areas where you could tighten up so that you'll have more for other things. There isn't much you can do about the cost of foods except to watch for sales. Sadly some of the most important foods to have in your diet are the ones being hurt the most by the price increase. Buying local and in season fruits and veggies if that is an option where you live its a good start. I love to shop farmers markets.

It has been really tough with the food prices but I am someone that refuses to cut corners on what goes into my body and believe me my grocery bill shows it we spend like 600-800 a month on food.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 12:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Besides other suggestions you can shop at Farmers Markets, produce is cheaper, you support local agriculture and in most cases the food is pesticide free and better for you, you also reduce your carbon footprint by not purchasing food that traveled hundreds to thousands of miles to reach your grocery store....(one example, tomatoes are picked green and then in tranit sprayed with argon gas....the same used to euthanize dogs......to make them rippen quicker, eww gross)!

But at Farmer's Markets you can also slowly stock up, perhaps each week just buy a lot of 1 or 2 produce items and can, freeze and preserve them to last you the entire year. You really can do this inexpensively. I still have a bag of frozen peas from last season and peas are an early spring crop! You can buy bushels of tomatoes for as little as $10-$15 a bushel and make dozens of jars of sauce, ketchup and diced toms for the entire year.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You can't do much about rising prices; you can changer your behavior.

Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 1:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

cont