Opinions about Mirena Birth Control...

Hi ladies! I have migraine and stroke risks by taking regular BC pills, and also suffer from painful period cramping, and my Midwife suggested I get Mirena. I just had a baby 7 weeks ago, and am done with having kids for well, I think forever. I am looking for opinions from anyone who has had it to see whether you think it's a good route to go. I know I just went through hours of pitocin non pain medicated labor and delivery, but I am still anxious about the insertion process. Did it hurt and how bad were the side effects at first??? Thanks in advance!

PolenkaPixie

Asked by PolenkaPixie at 12:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• I've had mine nearly 3 years and love it. I'll be getting another one when the 5 years are up. It was a bit painful having it put in, but nothing so bad that I won't do it again. My last birth was similar to yours - non medicated pitocin induced. My youngest was already nearly 4 years old when I had mine, so I don't know how the pp aspect factors into the perception of pain/discomfort. If you do decide to get it done, make sure you take Tylenol, Motrin, etc about 30 minutes before it'll be placed. The worst that happened for me is that I got a little woozy from sitting up too fast afterward.

Its normal to spot for a while after its placed - it took me 6 weeks to get to where I wasn't spotting or having AF. The spotting was more of a nuisance than anything else. Just some pink each bathroom trip, but never anything heavy enough I needed a pantyliner.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The first time I had it put in it was a little painful but like Ginger said nothing I couldn't take again. They gave me Tylenol but check to see if your Drs does. My body expelled mine but I am going to try again... I also can't take hormonal bc because it makes me crazy lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I've had mine for a year and a half. I like the fact that I haven't gotten pregnant (as I did on other forms of bc) but it has done weird things to my body. I've broken out in cystic acne that is finally settling down and I have a lot of break through bleeding. My dr actually numbed me before he put it in, so I didn't feel anything, not even the shot to numb it. I would recommend it though, because of all the other forms I've tried this one is the easiest and is extremely effective.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 11:36 AM on Mar. 18, 2011