Should they?

A Gold Star Mother is asking the court to reconsider it's ruling on protests at funerals.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/ap-woman-asks-justices-to-reconsider-westboro-031711/

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 12:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, they should instead be asking their lawmakers to pull their heads out of the asses and write a constitutional law like other states have already managed to do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No. Freedom of speech remains protected, regardless of it's offensiveness.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• jumping in here..i'm pro-choice, but i don't mind the pics of abortion, either. it is what it is. its reality. nothing drives it home like glossy photograph. if my ds happened to see a pic of an aborted fetus, would i lie to him, or smooth over the truth because he's child? no, i wouldn't.

ok, carry on.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No they should not reconsider
    When you start drawing lines and making exceptions, it opens the door for more and more exceptions and pretty soon the intent of the right has completely been muddled
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• THIS>>> No. Freedom of speech remains protected, regardless of it's offensiveness. Answer by lovinangels an hour ago
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Irony at it's very best!! The ones that they are protesting, are the very ones that gave their lives, to make us a "free" country in order to give them all those rights! I find it very sad and just another way that mankind uses God's name to do horrible, wicked things. I saw a protester with a sign that said "God hates faggots", really, is that necessary? What gives them the right to make up statements like that?!? I would like a reference page stapled to the back of all of their cruel signs. I would like to know if he interviewed God on this, or if he read it in the Bible. If so, then how/where? What's God's thought on people who disrespect one of his creations, as they are being laid to a final rest. Is he be okay with all the disrespect the loved ones have to endure?? I could go on and on, but I will get off the soapbox and let someone else use it..I'm Agnostic myself, but what these people do, disgust me so!
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 2:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• But when does the rights of one impede on the rights of others? Do these families not have the right to privately mourn a loss without the hate-mongering rhetoric of these people being shouted in their ears and shoved in their faces? I agree that freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but when is the line crossed from free speech to harrassment of these families?

BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Although I would say most people find them just vile pieces of trash. The question that has to be asked is where would it stop? Would it continue on to something that you support?

For example I respect that people can peacefully protest abortion however I don't feel like they should use pictures of abortion. My feeling is my kid doesn't need to see that as we are driving down the road and it offends me. I don't know where you fall on that issue it was just the one that was on the top of my head.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• personally,it seems to me that they need to draw the line at the Westboro church. The horrible things they do eliminate them from any rights....aren't even close deserving free speech.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• dullscissors That was my point it offends me but not you so it cases like that who is right? Would we ask the court to make that decision on Freedom of speech and from there it continues and where does it stop?

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011