Anyone having this much trouble losing weight?

I gained 75 lbs. during my pregnancy (mostly due to gestational diabetes) and my son is now thirteen months old and since giving birth I've lost a grand total of... Six pounds, all during the birth!!! Grrrrrrr... I do everything right (few sweets, lots of water, calorie counting...) I stay at 1500 cals a day and STILL haven't lost weight! Anybody have any advice??? I'm starting to go nuts. I'm uncomfortable, I can't find decent clothing, and I feel huge and ugly. Is there something I'm forgetting to do, or is there some secret to it? I'm not sedentary, I go to school and do housework and exercise when I have time (not often, but sometimes), but nothing has worked.

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 6:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Go to your doc to get a physical. Maybe there is a reason for it. If you are calorie counting alone you should loose some weight. It could be your thyroid. Or it could be stress. I would also suggest a free web site I joined to loose weight that has helped educate me and hold me accountable. (logging food you eat, as well as exercise)

www.sparkspeople.com

Anonymous

• I am the opposite... I cannot gain weight. I think it is just as hard to gain as it is to lose. Good luck mama!

thisnameistaken

Answer by thisnameistaken at 6:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• (Question Asker) I am part of Livestrong.com, which helps count cals and logs exercise, and I've also had my thyroid checked, which is supposedly normal! Any other ideas???
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 7:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Are you taking any medications? Some can affect your metabolic rate and make it hard to lose weight. Even though you've had your thyroid checked, talk to your doctor. Frequent, small meals combined with good fluid intake and exercise normally helps with weight loss. But, you might have other factors such as depression, anxiety or metabolic problems (perhaps related to the diabetes?) and only your doctor can determine which, if any, are causing a problem.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• (Question asker) Does anxiety really cause weight problems? I mean, I've heard that but I thought it was just that when you are anxious you tend to eat more and do less. I have been eating little meals, drinking TONS of water (usually 3-4 bottles a day) and still haven't lost a damn thing in over a year. I tried talking to my doc but she basically told me that everything was fine and just to exercise more, but I think it is more than that. I don't know... I'm feeling hopeless here. If I eat less than I am now I get cranky and sickly, and I exercise as much as I have time to do. But it seems to me that SOME of the weight ought to have come off by now, since I am eating better than I ever have in my life!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• (Question asker again) And no, no medications. I don't even take aspirin! Lol... I'm afraid of chemicals.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would deffinitely talk to your doctor, Good Luck
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 1:14 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Maybe you should eat more calories for about 4 days, and then go back down again. sometimes changing things up will help with weight loss. They call it calorie shifting. I lost all the baby weight on the idiot proof diet. You can check it out at idiotproofdiet.com. It's an excellent diet and I highly recommend it. You can check out it's reviews if you google it too.
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 4:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Get your thyroid levels checked if you haven't already. Pregnancy is a huge trigger for thyroid disorders. After I had my daughter, my thyroid crapped out on me and I can't lose a pound to save my life despite spending 5 days at the YMCA doing 45 minutes of cardio or swimming 2500 meters with 45 minutes of strength training.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2008