Can an ovarian cytst cause back and leg pain?

For the last several weeks I have been having off and on sharp pains in my lower right abdomen. The pain has been radiating through my hip to my back and down my leg on the right. Sometimes the pain in my leg is so bad that it is difficult to walk. The pain in my leg goes all the way down to my foot. Several weeks ago I think the nerves in my leg were going crazy because I could not have anything touching my leg without it burning and stinging. I really feel like there is something pinching a nerve. I am having my period right now and that has been weird as well. Usually it is pretty predictable but I have been bleeding since last thursday! It started out with 4 days of brown spotting, then Monday full blown bright red and heavy, lots of unusual cramps, and more clots than nomral (TMI sorry). I have had four days of bright red blood and clots, today it is tapering off but my stomach is somewhat tender to touch. The pain comes and goes but is pretty constant in my leg. I am going to call my doctor but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this? Thanks for any input.

cowboysgirl3227

Asked by cowboysgirl3227 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• Ovarian cysts can cause back pain radiating down the leg.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't know if this would be helpful or not . . . . but I used to have an issue with a Bartholin Cyst in my vaginal area . . . when it got inflamed, I would have really bad nerve pain shooting all the way down my leg and to my toes . . just like you described. I had surgery on it, and haven't had that pain since.

Pain shooting down your leg could also be from sciatica, or a pinched nerve in you lower back, so you can also try some forward stretched and see if the releases anything there.

I am glad you are going to the doctor. The sharp pain in your abdomen is really what would concern me . . . make sure you address that at your appointment.
    Anonymous

• Not positive but it possible could. Any female issue can cause definite leg pain. I had cysts on my ovaries in the hurt overall. Esp when they busted. My endometriosis caused severe pain down my legs and so did my contractions during labor.

However, I'd definitely mention it to the doctor just to be safe. Good luck!
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 1:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011