"We have to remind the American people why we are in Afghanistan, why it's worth it..."

Is Libermann right? Has the majority of America forgotten why we went into Afghanistan in the first place?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/petraeus-taliban-momentum-halted-in-afghanistan-but-harder-fighting-ahead/2011/03/15/AB33TEX_story.html

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 12:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Years ago, back when Russia was still the Soviet Union, they sent their military into Afganistan. At that time, they had a professional military that was considered to be the best in the world. They spent 10 years fighting in Afganistan and ended up pulling out, not victorious in any way, just pulled out. So what in the world made our Gov. think it would be any different for our troops. We've been there, what, 9 years now? I wouldn't be surprised if we're still there in another 10 years...
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't think most people have forgotten, it's just hard to see why American troops are still fighting and dying and it seems like little progress has been made. The Taliban and other terrorists are still there and nothing done over there seems to do more than inconvience them for a small amount of time then they are right back to business.
    Anonymous

• Here's a quote I really like: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King

I was saying the same thing when everyone was griping when we were in Iraq trying to take down Hussein. I think a LOT of people have forgotten the reasons we are there. JMO, though :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• no, Loving Liam, he said he would send more to Afghanistan
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I remember why we were told we were going into Afghanistan but the more I real and learn the less I believe it. Not to mention wondering if there is any real win for us in this situation. I seem to recall reading that noone has ever been victorious invading Af, ever.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The way I see it, if we're over there, then we need to do what we went over there to do as quickly and effectively as possible. We don't need to have our soldiers sitting over there with their hands tied (figuratively) not able to fully do what they need to do. Get the mission done and bring our soldiers home ASAP. Stop drawing this out.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't thinl Lieberman has been right about anything for a long time . The country is as corrupt now as it has ever been and is not worth it .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When you have a loved one in the military you don't forget. We are not going to resolve the issue, the Taliban isn't going anywhere. I want my son and the rest of the military here in the U.S. I'm so tired of us fighting an endless battle.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• We are in Afghanistan for all of the right reasons and to naysayers that point to the cost remember...for the last ten years, the two wars together (Iraq and Afghanistan) have cost 6% of the total debt incurred during those ten years. I am willing to have my tax dollars spent that way when it has obviously prevented further 9/11's.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think it's been drawn on for too long at this point. My husband and many of our friends are military. It's not easy to see everyone separated from family and friends. Obama said when he came into power that he was going to bring the troops home, instead he sent more. Obviously the government even questions their motives. We're spending money on war that we can't afford to use.
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 12:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011