At what age would you allow a child to go into the grocery store to pick up stuff?

While you stayed in the car with smaller children? A family member just basically said I was overprotective for not being comfortable with it.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• 16 or when they have their drivers license LOL. Mostly because when I tried with my oldest at around 14 she always got the wrong stuff or more.

Answer by gemgem at 12:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• 14??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Oooh, that's a toughie. I'd have to say about 12 but even then I would be nervous because that's the way I am.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I remember my mom sending me to the store on my bike to get stuff when I was only 7 or 8. We only lived 4 blocks away from it. My 9yo will go in with me and pick up a couple things seperately from me and pay for them herself with money I give her, but I'm not quite comfortable yet with her going in completely alone.
    Anonymous

• Mostly because when I tried with my oldest at around 14 she always got the wrong stuff or more.--

that's why i don't let my dh go grocery shopping...he came home from one trip trying to tell me that the store simply did not carry diced tomatoes...and he's 48!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My daughter is 11, and not very responsible.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• it depends on how mature the child is. My kids are way too young right now. by 12 or 13 they should understand to go in and get what was asked and come out . If they mess up the 1st time and get the wrong thing no problem next time u go in and show them. When it comes to fruits of veggies i wouldnt let a young kid get them i would want to look at them myself to make sure they are good
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think you have to do what is comfortable for you. My boys are 14 and 12 and they go in together all the time. I do think that with girls it could be a little different and also if she is by herself.

Don't feel like you have to justify your actions in this situation.  She is your daughter and you have to do what you think is best for her.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My 9 year old really wanted to try this, so I sent him into a very small store in our neighborhood. Well it took him really long and I was really nervous (even though there only 1 exit and I was right outside it). And he got the wrong thing!! Needless to say we'll try again in another year.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My oldest is only 9, so I really just don't know what age. I can tell you I don't see him being ready in 1.5 years though. If he's grocery shopping with me I will sometimes send him off on errands to find something and bring it back to me. Makes him feel useful while making sure I don't wind up with something I don't want/need.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011