My daughter and exzema...

I recently found out my daughter has exzema and it for some reason worries me because anytime she has a break out i wonder if it is the exzema or something else...anyone else have this problem??

mzspud

Asked by mzspud at 12:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My daughter's skin is really sensitive, too. I used to bring her in every time something popped up and bothered her. Every time, they told me "hydrocortisone cream" or "Benedryl". So, now, I just try to keep on top of it for her. If I notice something small coming up, I use the cream right away and it prevents it from getting bad.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my son has had eczema since he was 2 months old. His skin is always dry although his break outs happen when the seasons change. Also, his feet are usually always bad because as they start to heal they get itchy and so he scratches them. I would say try treating with cream, for example we use antibiotic creams a lot and a prescription cream called Protopic.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions, my son is 14 years old so I have been dealing with this a long time.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Thank you. They gave her some cream to use at the derm. It makes me feel better to know someone else is going through the same thing. I just feel like i cant help but worry sometimes. I guess i will have to just relax and go with it.
    mzspud

Comment by mzspud (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My baby sister had this issue. The doc told my mom to give her a bath every other day instead of every day because the warm water was causing her skin to dry out. It looks a lot worse than it is. I used to get it too. It doesn't hurt, just itches. Neosporin helped me as well as petroleum jelly.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It happened with my dd when we switched our laundry detergent.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 1:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No dairy
    keep baths/shower short and infrequent
    put coconut oil on the afflicted areas

Answer by rkoloms at 2:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My older DD has eczema, has had it since birth pretty much. Hers is related to a dairy protein allergy, and is also triggered by viral illness of all things. Needless to say, we cut all dairy once we knew that was a problem. Now we bathe her at most 3 times a week in warm water, she gets coconut oil in her bath, and she has a steroid cream to be used in combination with aquaphor for her bad flares. Cold/dry weather also makes it worse, she had two bad flares that I remember this winter. Both lasted about a week before her skin cleared, she was covered from her neck down. The second time it happened I took her to the doctor to be sure it wasn't an allergic reaction, that's when he told me viruses can trigger an eczema flare in some kids.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• my son has this also and the doctor has given us a prescription for it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2011