I have had a lot of pre term contrations...is that bad

I had to go to the hospital 2 times for it and they dont seem to be going away...is this a bad thing??

Mrs_williams90

Asked by Mrs_williams90 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• depending on how far along you are then yes but if your atleast 36wks i wouldnt worry about it chance are you will have a healthy baby maybe a tad little but atleast healthy. if your not that far ten yes i would be woried and be calling the dr to find out if you should be on bed rest.
    Anonymous

• If you are comfortable, ask your doctor about medication to keep the contractions away, if he feels it is neccessary. If he is deeming them simply strong Braxton Hicks, then you are alright, but if they are real contractions that are progressing into labor, he may consider it (my doctor put me on meds at 33 weeks to keep labor away)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It can be, depending on how far along you are. I had them as well as was put on Nifedipine until I hit 37 weeks...and they didn't start up again until my water broke, lol!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• As someone who had twin 25 wkers - lay down on your left side, drink Gatoraid and get some rest. If you get plenty of rest & hydration and they don't go away or if you have any other signs of true preterm labor - go straight to the hospital and don't leave unless you feel certain that they have given you the care you and your baby need. Better to be a pain in the ass in L&D than a NICU parent...
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 7:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i have A LOT of painful braxton hicks contractions daily. i was in hospital Wed. thinking it was labor, but it wasn't. I am not dialated and there is nothing that points to pre-term labor so I was sent home. It could be that esp. if the hospital is sending you home, I'm guessing you're not in labor. how far along are you? I'm 33 weeks plus. I was told to get a good support belt, that it could help with the pressure and contractions. I don't know if this would help you but it may be worth a try. good luck.
    flower33

Answer by flower33 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Yes I had some of that with my son and I spent monthes in hospital on bed rest and meds.
    scoke19

Answer by scoke19 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008