External cephallic version stories?

So I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant. I had a c-section with my first child, and I REALLY want to try for a VBAC with this one. However, he's not cooperating. First off, he's measuring 6 weeks ahead (big baby). Secondly, he's breech. I know a big baby isn't necessarily a huge problem, except that my first child had a huge head, and this one seems to be developing the same way. Also, if he stays breech, forget it, I won't have a chance to even try.

So....they're going to try to turn him next week. Because of his size, and how far along I am, they don't want to wait any longer. I've heard several horror stories about how much the procedure hurts, and how it's very rarely successful anyway, so I don't know if I should put myself and the baby through it, or just give up and schedule another c-section. Has anybody had this procedure, and how did it go? Thanks!

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 1:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My doctor refused to do it because of the risks. Have you tried the ironing board trick? I think it's on www.spinningbabies.com where you prop an ironing board on a couch or something and lay upside down with your head toward the bottom and your feet on the elevated end. It lets the baby move up out of your pelvis a bit. Then you can try to put something cold on the bottom so the baby tries to move away. There are some other tricks to try in this position. Also remember it's really not too late. I couldn't get my oldest to turn, and scheduled a c-section. He ended up turning the night before I was supposed to have a c-section, at 38 weeks. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• There are a few "home remedies" for breech babies that you may want to try first. As far as being successful I have only had one friend that was in the position to try it for her breech baby.

- placing an ice pack (bag of frozen peas or corn works too) on the top part of your uterus while sitting in a warm bath (not hot). Babies naturally want to be where it is warm so this may encourage him to flip.

- Yoga poses where your hips are above your shoulders.
    -bridge pose
    -down dog
    -triangle pose

Good luck!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My doc okayed me for a VBAC for my second, but I was scared to try . . . I am 5'2" and my husband is closer to 7 feet than 6. Our first baby couldn't fit through, so we had an emergency C . . .my second was looking like he would be 10 lbs. So, I just scheduled a C. It was really good that I did because the baby was lodged into my pelvic bone and the doc had to anchor his feet to the table and was pulling and grunting to get him unstuck. At that point he said, "This boy would have never made it out."

Are there any risks associated with the inversion? If not, might it be worth a try for you?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My midwife gave me the yoga poses, and the ironing board trick, he's not budging at all for now. I haven't tried the frozen peas trick, so I'll definitely give that one a whirl, thanks!

ImaginationMama, I think there's a slight risk of going into labor (SLIGHT, though), but I'm trying to decide if it's worth it, just so I can try the VBAC. I think my original plan of skipping the epidural is pretty much out the window though, they'd prefer me to be prepared for a c-section, just in case...
    Anouck

Comment by Anouck (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well, Good luck! :) Whatever the result, your baby is big an healthy . . . and will be here soon. That is so exciting.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• My brother was breech like 2 weeks before delivery. My mother did exercise to help promote him to flip. When he did she watched her entire belly heave. He was 11 pounds 6 ounces (and she didn't have a c-section). Pain varies and there is really no way to tell how you will feel when it happens, but it is possible for you to manage it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011