Can my 11 month old eat bread that has honey in it?

I baked a batch of honey rolls, and I'm not sure if my 11 month old can eat it. Is honey safe if baked in bread?

mzsl

Asked by mzsl at 1:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. They say to wait until a year but introducing it a month early is not going to harm him if he isn't allergic to it. Plus, it's only an ingredient so probably even a better way to introduce it.
    Anonymous

• Never give honey to infants younger than 1 year. Honey is a known source of bacterial spores that produce the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This bacterium makes a toxin that can cause infant botulism. This rare but serious form of food poisoning affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Unlike adults, infants haven't developed beneficial bacteria in their digestive tracts that can control botulism spores and prevent growth of the bacterium and production of its toxin.

Botulism spores are also found in uncooked food. For this reason, feeding an infant any undercooked food is risky as well.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes. It is baked.

vbruno gave you PARTIAL information, and some which was simply incorrect. I trust as a mother you will do your own research. Almost all commercially available honey has been filtered and pasteurized, the only "risk" is when you feed them RAW honey (which, by law must be LABELED AS RAW).

Raw or undercooked foods are only a risk if it has been improperly handled, prepared, or stored. The cooking process, or pasteurization actually destroys nutrients, and isn't a healthier or safer option, it simply means the food can be stored longer.
    Being careful about where your food comes from, how it is handled, prepared and stored are much more important in ensuring food safety.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm pretty sure since you baked your bread, it's OK.

Infant botulism can occur any time in the first year of life, but like SIDS it is most common in the first six months. In fact it has been suggested as the cause of death in up to 10% of SIDS cases (Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics; Saunders 1992).
    Thankfully, in most instances of infant botulism, the amount of toxin is so incredibly minuscule that the case remains mild. For this reason it is often misdiagnosed.

Botulism is a spore, so if your bread is baked...then those spores would die. Also, it's raw honey that is the biggest scare. But, they say any honey could have it...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think it is fine, especially since it is cooked. Sound good to me!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i would err on the side of caution and not give any honey
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• it should be OK but if you are really concerned then I would just hold off on giving it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• what kind of honey did u use farm stand honey or local honey is not usually pasteurized but grocery store honey is. i know first hand that local honey can make a child sick my nice at it at about 14 months and she PUKED all over my car herself and anything she could reach it was not pretty. she about 8 now and OK with honey.
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2011