At-home micro-dermabrasion, anyone?

other than facial scrubs, has anyone used the micro-dermabrasion kits/hand-helds available in dept. stores/ulta/sephora/etc.?

just wondering how they compare to a professional job, in a spa/salon..with the hand-held devices/machines. anyone actually know what a professional aesthetician does during this service? its more than scrubs and masks, btw.

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 1:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• we had a lady come in and show us how to do them and we did a few while I was in beauty school still.. it was a professional model and like $500 for the kit (included the scrubs and everything).. but no, I never tried the otc ones..
    I've heard from a few salons around here that i have friends that work there that do them, that the scrubs aren't the same as the professional brands.. so maybe get the at home tool and professional scrubs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I absolutely love Mary Kay's Micro-dermabrasion set. It makes my skin so soft and clean :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I've used the microderm abrasion kit from Beauticontrol. It works wonders. Leaves my face feeling smooth as my baby's bottom :) The hand held device is simple but very effective.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm a licensed esthetician and I have a certificate in microdermabrasion. The best type of microderm is a wand that has a diamond tip as it's not messy and gives a smooth exfoliation. In home kits are not as effective at removing the top layer of skin, but can definitely help more than oh... not doing anything at all. Also if you're doing it yourself, please be sure not to OVER do it as you can hurt your skin and cause scabs etc.

If you feel you must do it at home, try using a grid pattern of across the face 2 times, down the face 2 times. then use a lower setting/ wand around your eyes and mouth. Be sure to pull the skin taut before putting the wand on your face as the machine will "suck" up anything that's not pulled tight and leave you a nice hicky haha.

If you're looking for affordable proffesional microderm, look into local beauty/esthetics schools as their prices are typically more than half off.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 10:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have and it works
    CARAELLIOTT

Answer by CARAELLIOTT at 1:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• which ones have you used? i'm not talking about scrub-like products..i'm talking about the little handheld devices.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I haven't but they just talked about them the other day on the show The Doctors and said if used regularly they will give the same result and the expensive in spa micro-dermabrasions.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• yeah, thanks for those helpful hints, spastic. i probably won't try it at home, but was curious if anyone had any experience with it AFTER knowing the benefits/usage of a professional. i'm licensed cosmet (23yrs+), and have had several professional facial services, but we're in a new town, and knowing full well that someone inexperienced can burn you with the various tools, i've been skeebish to try a new aesthetician even my former gal hurt me once..and i would've scrubbed my face on the concrete if she'd told me to!! LOL! i'll probably just do what we tell everyone to do..ask around town, and get references. thanks!

dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2011