Thinking of leaving the Catholic Church

Up until recently, I have been a practicing Catholic, but as I began to notice things that go on in the church and how many Catholic practices I disagree with, I stopped going to masses and participating in "Holy Days of Obligation" and other Catholic rituals...I've started to feel that I am a member of a cult. How can a church excommunicate a nun for taking a young women who's help was in danger to get an abortion, but can't excommunicate a gang of priests whom have been found guilty of homosexuality against young men (I thought the church was against homosexuality?) ...they simply "transfer" them to another parish? I'm not bashing anyone for their Catholic beliefs, to each is own, but it's difficult for me to "keep my faith" Lately, I have been leaning more towards Buddhism and going deep into Buddhist studies.... I honestly just don't like the direction it has gone in. It is more so about praising the Pope rather than teaching the way of GOD. Has anyone else been through this? Thoughts? Comments?

Other things that have influenced my decision to leave are the treatment of women. (I'm very much a feminist) A girl was suspended from her Catholic school for being pro choice (ridiculous) A woman cannot have abortions, be pro choice or participate or support surrogate motherhood, in vitro fertilization or egg donation (all of which I am guilty of, minus abortion)...I feel as though my beliefs and lifestyle do not mesh with "Catholic Tradition" (which is very hypocritical) ...I'm not a traditional type of girl ;)

MaterialGirl198

Asked by MaterialGirl198 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Thank you so much! We are on the same page! I dont promote people go out and have abortions, but I do feel that every woman should have that CHOICE. I am always trying to educate people about birth control and the aspects of sex (which is against the Catholic church as well....I'm a terrible Catholic lol!)

--
    Sorry I had to hop off CM for a bit. My son seem to be fighting nap time today.

Exactly. People seem to think all pro-choice people are pro-abortion, and that's not always true. I just don't think it should be the government's decision for us, and I also don't think my personal views should be imposed on other women. I try not to be judgmental about those who have chosen to have abortions either. My SIL is Catholic, and I know she has used birth control in the past and probably does again now after having her twins. So, I know you're not the only Catholic who does! :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i don't know anything about Buddism, and very little about the Catholic church. what i do know is, if there's something amiss, and you cannot reconcile your conscience/thoughts/beliefs with a particular line of faith/belief/religion, then it isn't for you.
    you should never stay in association with a church just for religion's sake, even if it is the high & mighty Catholic church. (no offense, but people do tend to be afraid of losing their very souls for stepping away from it. crazy, eh?!)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You are not alone that is for sure. I was raised Catholic and even as a teenager I found things that I disagreed with and I didn't like all the double standards that went on. I left the Catholic Church my senior year of high school. I still go to mass sometimes because my father is still very much Catholic.

I think the important thing is to find what you believe in and follow that.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Best of luck in finding your OWN TRUE PATH!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Have you researched what other religions interest you? If you're completely open to everything, you can check out a forum that I moderate: www.witch.net/forum Pagans from all over the world are on there and they are wonderful, non-judgmental people. Check out the Beginner's Forum and read through the posts there. You may find yourself nodding and agreeing with what you see. Good luck on your journey!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Wow, almost everything you said is how I feel too. That's all I will say though on this forum. You aren't alone.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic High School, did my Confirmation, the whole 9 yards. My parents always told me I could choose for myself what I wanted to do after I turned 16. The day I did, I stopped going to church, much for the the same reasons you did. Well, truthfully, it also had a lot to do with me being ruled by logic, and I just couldn't believe in bearded men in the sky, the whole walking on water/turning water into wine bit/immaculate conception, etc. But mainly, I had some MAJOR issues with the attitudes of the Vatican, and their refusal to get with the times.

Don't feel bad, you need to find whatever works for you, whether that's a different religion, or no religion at all (my choice). Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• We all have to follow our hearts. I'll stop now and say a prayer of clarity for you.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I believe its really important to follow your heart on these kinds of things. You'll find the path that is right for you, whatever that may be. Just be confident in yourself and learn as much as you can, because even if you disagree with what you learn a faith teaches you're defining YOUR spirituality more and more with each step. And that's what matters, following your convictions and discovering how YOU feel about the issues and staying true to that. Good luck, and there are plenty of ladies here who would support you in your exploration and journey! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You don't believe in protecting life but you want to be a Buddist? Interesting.

--

I would say most Buddhists DISCOURAGE abortion. This is not necessarily the same as being Anti-Choice. Most Buddhists are pro-education about abortion in order to help reduce abortions, and while they respect life and obviously would prefer people didn't get abortions at all, they are very FOR individual choice and are AGAINST imposing rigid absolutes. I practice Buddhism, and I am PRO-CHOICE politically, against abortion for myself, and I am pro-education and birth control.

OP--I am a former Christian (I was raised Presbyterian). I'm a Naturalistic Pantheist, and I practice Buddhism (and Taoism). I've also studied a lot of other religions and philosophies. I would suggest learning about many of them to find what's right for you. If you have any questions or would like a few links to read, let me know. Good luck in your journey!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011