What type of clothes do you splurge on for your child?

Shopping for a child?  When to splurge or save ~

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704005404576177060922802254.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_6

So how does he decide what clothes are worth spending more on? For Mr. Boden, who buys between five and 10 new items for each of his daughters per season, it depends on the type of garment. Coats, he says, are worth paying more for. They are kids' winter uniform—worn everywhere from school to the playground to playdates. A good-quality wool jacket, puffer or spring coat that's made of a sturdy fabric and stitched together well enough to withstand wear and tear "can be handed down to several children in a family," he says. "It is testament to the fact that a little extra expense is worth it."

Mr. Boden also thinks that well-made shirts are "worth the money," as they are versatile enough to be worn often. High-quality, machine-washable knitwear tends to have longevity as well. Fabric with a high cotton content is less likely to pill, he says.

tot2

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Shopping

• I don't consider it splurging to buy well-made clothes for Kiddo. I would not splurge simply to have the trendiest item.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i don't actually spend a lot on any particular piece of clothing. he grows out of it too fast, there's no little brother or cousin to hand things down to, and i'm not a garage-seller or ebayer..i donate everything. so, there's no reason for me to spend a ton.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• once I splurged and bought my DS a nice jacket, shoes and 2 shirts from gap at $90, that was a huge splurge and wont likely be repeated any time soon. I do have to buy my DS clothes seasonaly because he very rarely fits into things from last summer. Because he grows out of things so fast I have been buying from carters.com. they have cute stuff at a reasonable price.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I never feel like I'm splurging on my sons clothes. He gets so many for birthdays and Christmas from other people plus some hand me downs from my sister. When I do buy something for him it's from a resale shop or off the clearance rack never exceeding $5.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Little girl clothes are soooo darn cute that I splurge pretty often -- or as often as my checkbook will allow! :-)

One thing that we were FORCED to buy though was her gymnastics leotard! This very plain and simple red, white and blue leotard is MANDATORY for gymnastics and cost $65! UGH UGH! She was able to wear it for a year though -- and now it's time to buy another! :(
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Certain things are definatly worth spending more on. LIke Jackets, that can last 2 winters. I also like jeans from the Gap, as they wear well and dont fall apart fast.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2011