Do you think it is possible to not have excessive skin after dramatic weight loss?

I am 5 ft 6 in. and my all time high weight was 292. I have lost down to 240 now and don't have any extra skin that I can see but I also still have alot to lose. My goal weight is to be 125-135. I am 30 years old and have 3 children. My family is overweight but when they have lost weight before they always looked great with out any flab left. What do you think my chances are of having a firm body once I lose the weight? For once in my life I want to look good. Oh, and yes I am exercising, I have been walking on the treadmill and doing a few strength training exercises.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Lose it SLOWLY, your skin has time to tone. Dropping a lot of weight quickly results in flab.

Good for you! Proud of ya :) I lost almost 100 lbs after my first child, and got back to the body I wanted :)

I know it can be done... You just have to decide you want better health and longer life.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If you loose the weight slowly at your age you have a shot at the body you want. Go for it!
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• So of it is gentitic, same as strech marks. Sound to me like you have a good chance of little to none but even if you do would that be the worst thing, your health is more important. keep up the good work.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think if you do it in a healthy, responsible way, and don't go too fast, you have a good chance. It also depends a lot on the elasticity of your skin (basically, partly genetics and partly age related, the younger you are, the more resilient your skin is).

Either way, good luck, and congrats on what you've accomplished so far!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If you exercise and loose the weight in a reasonable time frame you wont always have extra saggy skin. Been there done that with NONE of the bags of saggy skin like some people get.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Lose it the right way and with the proper excersie with weights. If not the skin will do that!
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Thank you for all the great supportive comments!

I know that my health is the most important and that is half of the reason I want to do this. I know that I would feel better about my looks and my health even if I didn't get all the way down to my goal weight or if I still had flab left over. It's just that I have always had very low self-esteem and I want to look good. I want to be able to go shopping for clothes and enjoy it. I want to be able to wear sexy lingerie for my husband. I want to wear a bathing suit without feeling that people are staring at me. I want to feel confident about my looks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If you do it incrementally, and not all at once, I think your body can adjust.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Genetics may work in your favor with this. Lose the weight gradually and everything should be fine.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2011