Why do parents still send sick children to daycare!? very annoyed

I work in a daycare and can't believe how many parents do this! We are constantly getting sick...grrr Well, I gotta work, they say! Stay home with your fanned child

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• sometimes its the choice between sending your sick child to daycare even though you would much rather stay home with them or not eat next week because you got fired for missing your job.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Because they need to pay their bills, eat have electric and live indoors. Its not right or good to send sick kids, but I understand why they do. Not everyone has a job with paid sick days off.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Sometimes they can't help it. There is sick care for parents maybe you could put it out there. Look for it on the internet. If it is a cough, sneeze or something like that, I dont' keep my kids home because they need to fight it. Depending on how sick they are?? I can't stay home because I am coughing or sneezing, I am sure we all wish we can.

As for Fever, diarehea, with a doctors note by law a person can't be fired for caring for their child but sometimes they wind up leaving because of the aggravation they will get for not coming into work.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• What would you like them to do.. I mean it would be nice to be able to stay home wiht a sick child but some of us are single mommys barely scrapin by we dont have that luxury to take off.....
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yea but they don't get we have to close if all the staff gets sick....Plus then they get all the healthy kids sick
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i to work in day care many yrs ago but for them they could lose day pay .not all mothers want to this but they must
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• if you employer accepts sick kids, then that's policy. most daycares, at least the ones i've used, will not allow a child to stay that 1)has a fever, 2) is vomiting/diarrhea (both of those have to be clear 24hrs before returning to daycare). also, both daycares i've used has additional policies in place for those parents that are picky about their snotty/achy kids...''if the child is too sick, without fever or nausea/vomit/diarrhea, to participate in normal play/activiites, keep them home.'' i'm sure its a judgement call on the director at that point,  but really..what can you do? you work in an environment where all kinds of illnesses can crop up, if not on a continual basis. the best you can do, as a worker in a daycare, is take all the precautions you can..you know, just like the ones they try to teach the kids. 

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Man I cant stand when parents do that. I dont do it because i would not want other kids getting sick. i understand that parents have work and cant take off. But they should also have a back up plan for when their kids get sick. mY Oldest is 12 and is at home as we speak because he has a bad cough. I would not send him to school that way. But later i will go and get his assignments though so he wont be backed up or missing out on anything. I cannot stand when my kids are sick. I dont get any sleep And i let them sleep in my bed so imagine a 12 y/o in the bed with you and you Dh. Not much room to move.

BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It happens in elementary as well and I can tell you its very annoying. My dd got the flu and was sick for TWO WEEKS and almost landed in the hospital this year (and before anyone says flu shot no she didnt have one but my grandkids did and got this strain it wasnt apparently covered or mutated from what was in the shot). Parents send their kids to school sick and get other people and peoples kids sick because why? An extra $50 on their check?
    Our school has taken larger measures and Im glad. If your child is sick AT ALL with a minor fever they are sent home, and then checked when they arrive and not allowed into class again until they have no fever whatsoever for 24 without tylenol or motrin. I think every school & daycare should operate the same way to prevent kids & teachers from catching all these illnesses preventable if someone just thought about others and stayed home.

Answer by gemgem at 1:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i let them sleep in my bed--

and that's precisely why i'm the sick one, now! lol! my ds went back to school two days ago..and went to the doctor this morning! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011