Anyone ever made candles in the crock pot?

Have you ever made candles in your crock? How did they come out? My dd really wants to make candles for her aunts and gram for Christmas. She's only 3. I figured the crock pot would be the safest way for her to help.

nicholeml

Asked by nicholeml at 7:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• LOL yes I have. You just dip the wick in it over and over until it builds up. What my grandma would do is put it on a low standing end table or something. There would always be about 4-5 of us and we'd walk in a circle around the table and when we got to where grandma was standing we'd get to dip it!! It was sooo fun!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• That sounds like a cute idea! Could you message me with more info on how to do this and where to get supplies? Can you add a scent to it? And how do you get the wax out of the crock afterwards?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I have done it too, I think you can just use the paraffin blocks and chips to color it and there shouldn't be any reason not to use the scents. Getting it out is going to be the "fun" part. I would wipe out what you can and then scrape the rest out with a credit card or something flimsy like that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would buy a cheap crockpot at the thrift store if you ever want to cook in your crockpot again. I would be nervous about making candles with someone that little. I spilled hot wax on myself and my grandmas stove and basement when i was about 13. If you want her to help, i would recommend buying sheets of beeswax (you just roll the wax tightly around the wick), plus it smells like honey. Then you can cut out shapes from other sheets of beeswax and stick them to the candle you made (freeform shapes or cookie cutters). This way she could still help and there would be no fear of burns. (btw you stick the shapes on with a little pressure and just the heat from your hands)
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 7:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2008