Does this qualify to be reported to CPS?

Just found out a parent bit their child b/c the child bit someone else! Now she left big bite mark and child's hand swelled

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• did you witness it? if not, its her words against yours.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes. Anything that leaves a mark is child abuse.

Answer by gemgem at 1:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• – collapse
    It qualify s only if the child needs medical attention because of it. NOT a smart parent though. Never leave marks where anyone can see them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Yes and make sure they (whoever is near the child) gets a photo and a witness statement from the person who saw it happen. Go to social services and see an on call worker and hand over the evidence. Be sure to sign a statement.
    Anonymous

• Oh wow. :( Was this the ONLY incident of this type of thing or is it known to be common with this parent? I know that some parents choose the bite and be bitten technique to get a biter to stop biting (which I DO NOT AGREE WITH FOR ME)..maybe this was the first time she did it and didn't realize how hard she was biting the kid? Thats just terrible..poor baby. You know what..I'd probably just call..just to be safe for this child. :( a bite mark and swelling..do you know how hard a person would have to bite to get that? awww
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Um. How about just don't leave marks? Yeah, some kids have to get bit back to understand it hurts but you never bite hard enough to cause serious pain.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

---------------------------------

Word from a friend of a friend... unless you saw it, you don't know what actually happened.

If I got reported for every bruise, scrape, goose egg my kids self inflict, or inflict on one another I'd be up to my neck in social workers... Factor in that people replace reality with their own idea of what actually happened and you have a mess on your hands.
    There isn't a "better safe than sorry" scenario. Unless you saw it happen you have no way of knowing the truth, and it is not your right or responsibility to report rumors.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• YES!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• my step mother did that to my step sister and she never bit again.
    Anonymous

• No. CPS needs to investigate REAL child abuse. Biting is not abuse. And all the parent has to do is say it was someone else and you can't prove anything with a picture. Not to mention, all the parent has to do is tell CPS to come back in a few days when the bite mark is gone and then they have no case.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011