How do I get my 3 year old to sleep in HER bed?

After my husband and I had to share one room with my daughter, due to my husband being laid off and us moving in with my parents for awhile, She now refuses to sleep in her room, in her bed! We recently got a house agian and she has her own stuff, but now its impossible to get her in there! please help i've tried everything! I got rid of her crib and got "a big girl bed" but even that doesnt help! Any ideas?

Mommiepootie

Asked by Mommiepootie at 2:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mu son is 4 and we just mastered this about a year ago. I just kept taking him and putting him in his bed... it took a couple nights but after that he knew he was going in there anyways so he decided to stay. IF he has a bad dream he will make his way in my bed but for the most part he stays in his bed now.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Thanks ill try that!
    Mommiepootie

Comment by Mommiepootie (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Let her fall asleep with you, then move her to her bed.

Super Nanny's stay in bed technique (back to bed idea)

There was another one she had. You start sitting on the floor right next to the child in bed, staring down and being quiet. That way your child knows you're there and will fall asleep in bed. Once that starts working you slowly inch your way out of the room night after night. Your daughter has gotten used to Mom and Dad being right there for her every night. Now you both need to retrain her to a new routine.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try putting her in her bed and sitting next to her until she falls asleep. I had the same problem with my DD and that worked.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• A trusted counselor told us she had issues with her eight year daughter not staying in her own bed. She calls it bribe therapy. She went to the dollar store and bought a ton of rewards and put them in a basket. She explained to her each morning she wakes in her own bed she gets to pick from the basket. It worked from day one. A few weeks of dollar store prizes and many years of sleeping uniterupted. When my son was just out of his crib we had side bumper rails on his bed where he did not attempt to crawl out of bed. Never tried to crawl over it. He did cry out if he woke. We just soothed him, rocked, and sang him back to sleep each time. We took turns soothing through the night. Over time he learned it isn't a major melt down - we will be there for him every time he needed us. When he learned this simple truth he slept for longer periods of time.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2011