How to get DD to stop sucking her fingers! Please help!

DD just turned 2 and has sucked her middle and ring fingers since she was born. We were going to wait until she was older to work with her on stopping b/c everything I've read says it doesn't hurt anything until their permanent teeth come in, plus it would be a lot easier trying to explain to her why she can't do that anymore when she's around 4. However today I noticed that she seems to be developing sores or something on her fingers.

I've read message boards and a lot of people say to put hot sauce on their child's fingers or duct tape their hands so they can't, neither of which I will ever do! I'm just at a loss and wondered if anyone has any tips that help with a 2yr old? I've heard of a product that can be put on children's fingers but I don't know the name or where to find it or even what's in it, just that it's liquid.

Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much!!

Mamapunkin21809

Asked by Mamapunkin21809 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you think she'll keep them on, just put on gloves.
    Anonymous

• Hot sauce or that product called stop suck, or NO! will usually work to keep her fingers out of her mouth.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Give her a pacifier. It's more sanitary.
    Anonymous

• I might try the pacifier, she likes to play with them but was never too terribly interested in using them. Maybe I should try a bigger size? I don't know if that will change anything but she has the same ones from when she was born that have only been used a couple times. Unfortunately she won't keep gloves on! She does love to play with them and can easily take them off. Thanks for the advice tho! I'll definitely look into Stop Suck and read up on the product, but no won't work with her unfortunately, not for sucking her fingers. She's a very good listener but she's had this habit since the day she was born. She doesn't have a security blanket or favorite stuffed animal, it's always been sucking her fingers that make her feel safe. I personally don't believe in the hot sauce method. I would feel mean doing that and would be worried about her rubbing it in her eyes. Thanks for the tips guys!
    Mamapunkin21809

Comment by Mamapunkin21809 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Put apple cider vinegar on them. Don't get her a pacifier or you will number 1 have to break her from that and number 2 a 4 yr old does not need one what if she gets the peice off in her mouth and gets choked on it and it cause teeth to be deformed.
    Marciaplus5

Answer by Marciaplus5 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Apple cider vinegar is a good idea. She's only 2, not 4, but regardless I'm a little leery of trading off from finger sucking to binkies. I'd rather just get her to stop altogether. Just lookin for all my different options at this point. Thanks for your reply!
    Mamapunkin21809

Comment by Mamapunkin21809 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• http://www.babyzone.com/toddler/article/stop-thumb-sucking-pg2

MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2011