Academics and Fitness

I went to my son's First In Fitness competition yesterday. They took the top boy and girl from each grade in the mile run, 100 yd dash, pull ups, standing long jump, etc. They had been training 3 mornings/week for the last couple of months and yesterday had the competition between the other schools in the county (my son came in 6th in pullups for 5th grad boys - yay!). I noticed that at least half of the kids on the FIF team were also in the AG (academically gifted) program (I know because my son is in AG and I volunteer in his regular class and his AG class fairly often). I was surprised because only a handful of kids from each class are in the AG class, nowhere near half of the classes - so there was a very disproportionate number of AG kids on the team. Does being physically fit foster intelligence or does being intelligent logically lead to being fit? Or was this just a fluke?

Asked by missanc at 2:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in

• Maybe the AG are more likely to be extremely active in various activities (in this case the ones involved were in athletic activities) and therefore more likely to be more fit. (I.e. Kids with lower grades could be "slackers" who don't want to do much, therefore aren't as involved in activities or try as hard if they are.)

Just a guess though.
    Anonymous

• Many kids who don't do as well in school are usually "punished" by not being allowed to participate in extracurricular activities.
    Anonymous

• I'd say odds are that parents who push kids academically probably push them to be fit also. I do agree with the PP that kids who are expected to go to college are often put in a lot of activities. I remember in my classes it was like that, in fact there were clubs in HS that did nothing really but meet a few times a year and go on college applications. OTOH, some families have different priorities, like doing family activities instead of school ones.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• maybe a fluke? idk. but it's the opposite at my kids school. Of all the AG kids i know, none of them are in any sports. Most of them don't even play any type of sport activity on the playground at school, even though all the kids are encourged to. All of the kids at my kids school who are into sports are poor to average to good students. My kid isn't AG, but he does very well in school. Neither me, nor my husband are AG, but we have several degree's between us, and are very much into fitness. My kid is physically active, aside from sports for at least one hour a day. He can also explain to you about health, nutrition, and fitness!!! He's only 8.
    Anonymous

• who the heck knows!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 12:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011