Is 5 lbs a week to fast to lose weight?

I need to lose just over 100 lbs. Everytime I have ever done diet and exercise I have lost between 5-8 pounds a week and it doesn't matter how long I do the diet it is always the same. It also didn't matter what my stating weight was. Whether I have been low or high on the scale I always have the same results. My Dr. said it was fine because of my heavy weight but this happened even when I wasn't so heavy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I have weeks where my bumped up exercise leads to a 5 pound loss or so, it's fine. Plus you tend to lose a bit more in the beginning normally as well, from the lifestyle changes. Good Luck to you!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If the Dr says it's fine then it's fine. If he see's its not he will tell you to slow up.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• it always comes off faster in the beginning
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Seems like a lot to me but I would think if you are under a doctors supervision you are fine.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• With so much weight to lose I think it is fine. It will go down when you have less to lose.
    struezel

Answer by struezel at 3:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i think it is fine since the doctor said it was, if you start feeling tired or hurting, slow down a bit.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 5:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would think no more than 3 pounds per week would be fine. If he told you 5 pounds per week when you were smaller, I would talk with them again, just to be sure.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Depends on the amount of weight you need to lose... You said about 100lbs, that is probably safe. If you are concerned I would seek a doctor supervised diet program... Good luck!
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't think it is totally realistic.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If your Dr said it was ok then I guess it is.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:16 AM on Mar. 19, 2011