Is a landlord required to give you proof & receipts to what your deposit is being spent on?

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 3:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Each state has their own laws. When we moved out of our only rental the landlord tried to keep the entire deposit without proof of expenses. When we threated to get an attorney she reconsidered and refunded all but $165, which she claimed was cleaning expenses. It was - but only because it rained the same day she went to inspect it and tracked mud all over the house (we took photos when we left). We decided it would cost us more than $165 to get an attorney so we dropped it, but since we have told everyone we know who is looking NOT to rent from that rental company. In the long run they have lost way more than that $165 because they were horrible landlords.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• No not always. If you live somewhere lets say a year and have normal wear and tear they can use it to that (paint, carpet cleaning etc).

Answer by gemgem at 3:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• no not that ive ever heard of
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If you live in a state where the landlord is legally required to put the SECURITY deposit in escrow the tenant can ask for proof that this has been done. But any other money down (such as first months rent) is none of the tenants business what the ladnlord does with it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I didn't think they were allowed to use to for NORMAL wear and tear...just damages beyond that. I have had a landlord charge us for cleaning expenses...even though we busted our butts cleaning that place top to bottom! That made us mad. This might help...

http://www.rentlaw.com/normalweartear.htm

struezel

Answer by struezel at 3:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• gemgem- Ok. My lease said normal wear & tear was fine. Also i believe she mentioned it was in escrow.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Comment by iluvmykidsxoxo (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• struezel-Thank you. I busted my butt too cleaning that place & it's practically spotless...looks better than when we moved in with some repairs that we even did ourselves. But i haven't heard back from her in 2 weeks until today & she said she was out of town. I really hope we get some of our deposit back because that was a lot of money.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Comment by iluvmykidsxoxo (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When we moved out of our apartment I think it took us a month to get our deposit back. I think they have a certain amount of time to return it. It doesn't have to be immediate.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Here in Ga the law says that it has to be put in a non-interest bearing account, and they have to show proof to you, but I've only had 1 landlord to do that.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• That really depends on your state and what it says in your lease. I've had one landlord here in Missouri flat out tell you that he doesn't EVER give deposits back. The rest, I've always been refunded them in full. I know here there is no law. Non-interest bearing checking accounts are required when you are putting a deposit down on a home here in Missouri, money can't be mingled with other accounts, etc... It does not pertain to renting. Not sure about your state though, so I'd check it out from there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011