• In the Spotlight:

Rebellious 8 yr old?????

My daughter is 8 yrs old, and in the 2nd grade.. she is going through this "phase" where everytime I tell her "no" she then replies " But mom {friends name} does!" It's driving me up the wall..she is starting to be mean and rebellious.. I try to explain to her that she does not have to do what everybody else does.. she is her own person. And the only thing that has been somewhat helping, is grounding her from seeing those friends. But will she hate me more??? UGH..NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE TEEN YEARS! I'm at a loss here.. I want her to feel comfortable being herself.. and not always need to be like her friends. Any tips?

kristinamalek

Asked by kristinamalek at 3:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Self awareness starts way before she realizes who she is...I understand that girls like to do what the other girls can do at school BUT in your house, you have different guidelines and restrictions, therefore, your daughter must understand that in life, you can only be YOU...grounding her from her friends, is not the solutions because you cannot stop her from playing with these friends at school. Just keep instilling in her that she needs to think for herself and be a leader and not a follower.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Try meeting with those friends and their parents and see what her friends think about her being a follower and not a leader. Some time a child need to see what their so called friends really think of them. Let her know she is not her friends and if they jump off a bridge will she. Let your yes mean yes and your no mean no and stick to it if you show yourself as a leader she will more than likely show her self as one hopefully. hope this help
    lovely111

Answer by lovely111 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When mine did that, I just told her that when 'whoever's mom' was HER mom, then I'd care. In the mean time, she had to listen to me. That's just the way it goes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• tell her that is just fine that person's mom does that but this is the way it is around here
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with christmaslver
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think it is important to choose your battles and teach your children to be reasonable negotiators. When you draw a firm line and she asks why or argues give an explanation, not "because I said. If there is something you decide to compromise on have clear guidelines and stick to them.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 2:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2011