How can I keep my dog from shedding

My border collie/red heeler cross has always been a shedder. Lately it seems like she's losing more hair than she has!

TigerofMu

Asked by TigerofMu at 3:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pets

• lol... u cant KEEP a dog from shedding but daily brushing is a great way to get all those loose hairs
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I know EXACTLY what you are going through... we had the same mix..and she SHED LIKE CRAZY! One of the things we did (and it may seem like a hassle) We brushed her everytime she went outside to potty before she came in..that breed tends to shed alot..so just keep her groomed as much as possible. Hope that helps!
    kristinamalek

Answer by kristinamalek at 3:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i have that same problem, i have a german shepard. and its seems to not stop. i thought once their new coats came in they would stop but its non stop shedding and its aggravating to the point i want to get rid of the dog.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• gotta get her a haircut! I have to shave my long haired dog 3 times a year because he sheds so bad.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• We live in Wyoming and it can be chilly throughout the year, so I probably won't shave her. She is not really long haired, she has a medium to short coat, and it is wiry (springy), but still soft.
    TigerofMu

Comment by TigerofMu (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Shaving the dog will NOT stop it from shedding plus some breeds/mixes (double coated breeds) NEED their hair to help keep them cool in the summer AND warm in the winter! You can't STOP a dog from shedding, but you can keep it under control. Brush daily as the others have said. Feed a HIGH quality brand of food. You can also add salmon oil to the dog food daily.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Brush, brush, brush! And keep those lint rollers around to use on yourself and the furniture. That's all I got. lol I was complaining about the cat hair all over my pants one day and DH said he'd shave it for me. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You can't just keep brushing
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 2:46 AM on Mar. 21, 2011