Do you think biting a child is child abuse?

Sorry..but that just urks the hell out of me. Now I never get angry at a post or other peoples responses to a post..I really just generally don't care. But the answers to one of the posts on here are really ticking me off!

How can mothers sit up here and actually say biting a child is NOT child abuse??
OF COURSE IT IS!

Look up the case of Brianna Lopez and you tell that baby that was murdered by her family and they found bite marks all over her body that what her mother was doing was not abuse by biting her.

JUST BECAUSE YOU MIGHT TRY TO HIDE A MARK ON A CHILD DOES NOT MEAN ITS NOT ABUSE EITHER!
What do you mean..."a stupid mother would only leave a mark on a child where it could be seen"?? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

If you believe in the "bite or be bitten" discipline to stop your child from biting..fine..thats your business but you know what..if you bite your child hard enough to hurt them, or leave a mark ,especially SWELLING..come on! THAT IS ABUSE!

IT DISGUSTS ME.

Go ahead and tell me off...I don't give a rats ass but I tell you true...If ever I see a person biting a child and it leaves marks,swelling,bruising,cuts..whatever! I'm gonna tell you off! A second time..I'm going to report you. I don't care who the hell you are or how right you think you are.
DONT BITE YOUR KIDS!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It sounds like abuse.
    The phrase " it is stupid to do it where it shows" is sick. It shows planning on the parent's part....they would abuse but make sure that nobody sees it? Sick!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think there is a difference between biting a biter and abusing a child. ANY form of punishment when taken to the extreme is abuse.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• one bite to teach them not to bite vs. The Briana Lopez case. ..big difference.
    Getting all up in someone's face when they discipline their child will most likely get your arse kicked. If you know something is extreme and constant, not simple discipline, by all means report them. But "tell me off", getting into my business for something you know nothing about? Hahaha..you'd do it once.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes I think it is child abuse!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The Brianna Lopez case is so sad =( My son used to bite and every once in a while someone would say "well, bite him back, that'll make him stop". I never did it. I disagree with it.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Of course without a doubt...wtf I HATE child abusers!!!!!!!
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 3:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• A kid biting another kid might be a PHASE they are going through but an adult biting a child to teach him a lesson? No way.

I agree that there are times when you need to get involved and help a child....but it is risky nowdays when so many loony Moms "pack heat"..........I'm not kidding. (ANd they brag about it)
    The world is getting more violent and that seems to be causing more child abuse. Its a sad thing.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Biting like you were just discribing is child abuse, but to teach them to teach them to stop biting, because it hurts, shouldn't leave marks.
    A person doesn't need to bite a child hard enough to leave marks only to let them to know that it hurts.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 6:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I remember, oh Hell decades ago when I think about it :(, working in a daycare in the toddler room. Talk about little biters. Ouch! It really is one way they could express frustration, anger, and even excitement. When one child bit....Lordy! It could lead to an outbreak of biting. Most of the time the child who bit was always bit back by the other children. Did it stop the biting? NOPE! We could always count on it getting worse. So to reduce the epidemic of tiny cannibal munchers (and damn they hurt when you have tiny teeth laying into you) we would watch very carefully the two involved. Typically we would have the child who bit spend time outside the room in the front office. Not as a form of punishment. It was to give the little guy or girl time to chill and to not get worked up again. The worker would firmly and swiftly remove the kid from the room, tell him NO outside of the room, and tell the child

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• time out will be outside the office. It was a little bit more time than what time out is usually for a young child. Mostly to ensure a repeat incident will not occur. The child who was bitten was also taken out so the other kids would not realize it happened. Once even the rumor of being bit occurred - it was off and running. So the person wounded would be taken to another room, injuries assessed and cared for, and giving some TLC and chill time as well. After time passed both kids met again and hugged. Are they sorry and truly remorseful? No. But seeing no harm done ensured peace once again. Most of the time it worked very well if you can catch it early. When you have several biting, they can bite and be bitten, but it escalated the rates of incidents.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011