What will be the affect from the radiation in Japan?

What will really be the effect to all living things and people in Japan from the Nuke plants blow ups? The Radiation will it give people cancer? What will happen and damages?

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 3:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Radiation damages your Thyroid gland thus increasing your chances of Thyroid Cancer especially in the young.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• About the same as Chernobyl I would think.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Immediate sickness short term, sharp, prolonged increase in cancer long term, and for the next generation or two, increased birth defects. People who get sick won't all die from it, some will just suffer for the next 60 years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Agree with above and also no should live near the plant again. But let's hope things work out for the best, and it will not end up like Russia.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Radioactive Iodine in the air will accumulate in the thyroid glands of people who are exposed and destroy their thyroids. They will have to be on synthetic thyroid hormones the rest of their lives. Doctors can give people who live close by an antidote to protect the thyroid (potassium iodide). Also, people who get enough exposure will develop anemia and immune problems due to bone marrow suppression. It's a lot like the effects people have when going through radiation treatment for cancer, only more severe.

I don't know how far away is a safe distance. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure. I don't think 20 miles is far enough.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I am no expert on genetics, but I would think that the cumulative effect of Hiroshima and this accident is a recipe for disaster.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011