HISTORICAL QUESTION: What type of influence...

What type of influence did the sales travelers like the Rag-n-Bone men have on society and in your opinion did they set back the idea of recycling few decades?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 3:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• homework?
    Anonymous

• I don't think they had much of a significant impact. They were just poor and did what they could to survive.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I'm not sure. The bones & rags were collected for use in the publishing industry and for soap makers.....so it did have an impact on society, BUT I was wondering if the image of the dirty person going door to door daily put a scent of disgust into the minds of people as though recycling was only done before progress and industrialization...
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Never heard of them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• why don't people do their own homework?
    Anonymous

• Homework? What are you talking about? This isn't for an assignment, just for a fun history debate. I came across a mention of this in a book set in 1910 and it got me wondering what other people thought about these people and tinkers. I also started wondering what other people know about them and what they thought about how this part of American/British culture has faded away. I was just hoping for a good discussion on an (i thought) interesting topic.
    If I wanted help with my homework I'd post in the homework part of the answers section. .
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I am the first anon. I just wondered. Sorry. :/
    Anonymous

• My fault I'm a bit defensive tonight.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011