Reading pregnancy test

I have been on birth control for quite awhile now and never had any probs or scares, but this last month I didn't get my period. I thought it could just be the pill as that has happened before (rarely), but since I hadn't been feeling great I thought what the heck I'll take one and check. The control line showed pink right away as they always do, but the test line was a bit odd. I can sort of see a very very faint line, but I'm thinking that it's the marking of where the line will be if it turns pink. Does that make sense? I have heard that if you look at an unused test you can barely see the 2 lines that are supposed to turn colors. I'm asking what you girls think about it cause I have never had that happen before when testing in the past and I've taken a fair share of tests because I had two miscarriages before conceiving my daughter and I was a testing freak lol. Should I just get another and see if it does the same? The test was First Response btw.

Mindi7806

Asked by Mindi7806 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I know exactly what you are talking about. It's sometimes called a ghost line. That sounds possible but if you feel it had color to it then you may want to retest in a few days. Even the pill isn't 100% especially if you aren't taking them on a strict schedule or have been on antibiotics. There is always the digital test as well...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Honestly, if you have to work to see the line or if it's so faint that you question it, it's probably not a positive.  This site is great for answers.  www.peeonastick.com

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Make sure that you read it within the time guideline. If you saw a faint pink shadow in the test area within the number of minutes allowed on the test, then you might be pregnant. The pill is only 98 to 99 percent effective, so it is possible. Test again with first response two days after you last tested.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• thanks for the quick responses :) I always take my pill at same time every morning and am not currently on any meds that would affect it. I really do doubt that I am and personally am not in a place to have a baby right now so I am hoping that it is negative and it's just the ghost line that I'm seeing. It's so faint that I honestly can't tell if it has a pink tint or not so maybe I just kinda freaked and was reading too much into it :) I'll check that website out. Thanks girls!!!
    Mindi7806

Comment by Mindi7806 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I am pretty sure that the "ghost line" only shows after the time limit . . . which is about 10 minutes. If you are seeing that faint pink after two minutes of peeing, then you need to test again.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Retake it. They have messed up tests too. I had one and I knew I was negative. So I took another brand and sure enough it came up negative.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• If it has no color to it it's not positive
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• A "ghost line" or evaporation line will show up later on....like if you let the test sit around for an hour or more....if the faint line was there within the required time of the test (like 10 minutes) it could very well be a positive rather than an evaporation line. Wait another day or two and take another with FMU (first morning urine) just to be sure
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Thanks for all of your help everyone :) I bought another and will check in a couple days. The second line was there right away, within the 10 min check time, but I can't be sure if it had a pinkish color to it or not cause it was so faint, but if that's what it was then in a couple days it will be the same I'm sure :)
    Mindi7806

Comment by Mindi7806 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2011