Anyone know about dog foster care rules?

My dog got out of our fence and was hit by a car and put into foster care. I am unsure if they will give her back to me. Its only been 3 days and I have not gotten a word back about her from the foster family. Anyone know how I can get her back? I called them a day and a half after she went missing. What are their rights? What are my rights? I miss our dog! I want her back.

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 3:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Pets

• There is something you aren't sharing.

No one can take a dog and put it in foster care without your knowledge, or consent. If, however, the dog was on the loose with no means of identification, then the people who took your dog in, probably think the dog has no home.

If you got the dog from a rescue place and they found out the dog was not only loose but had been injured then they are within their means to take the dog back. Somewhere in the contract you might have signed would be a clause saying if the dog isn't being properly cared for they can legally remove the dog from your care. Having a dog both gone and hit by a car indicates you are not looking after the dog to their standards.

I think there is more to this story then simply someone came along, found your hit by a car dog and now won't let you see it.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Who put her in foster care?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I am not sure? All i know is we have been looking for her for a couple days after she got out of the fence and just found out she is in foster care last night. I just am kind of upset no one is letting me know anything...
    dragonqueen

Comment by dragonqueen (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I've never even heard of that.... Was your dog microchipped? If it's your dog, I really don't understand why some other random family has her...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• A dog is considered property. If they found the dog then it is still your dog. They can force you to pay for any medical cost they incurred while it was in their care but the property belongs to you.
    Anonymous

• I've never EVER heard of that happening - sounds like some interfering do-gooder has taken YOUR dog. Accidents happen, dogs dig out - it is still your dog. I know it sounds petty but I would make a police report if they'll take it and get your dog back.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Makes no sense. I would go and get the dog back. They have no right to keep the dog.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Forgot to update you guys. We got her back! Thank goodness she is safe and u.harmed. Thanks the help guys!
    dragonqueen

Comment by dragonqueen (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011