Which is better? rice or oatmeal cereal? I'm really excited to feed my baby for the first time :)

kaemay

Asked by kaemay at 3:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never used rice cereal since it constipates, my son LOVED Oatmeal!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• They recommend rice because it is the least likely to have a allergy reaction and it is the most flavorless so it taste more like you breast-milk/formula
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Rice is single grain. Also the tanks that they make it in isn't used for anything that can trigger an allergic reaction. So, if you aren't sure if your child has an allergy or if allergies run in your family, start with rice.

Oatmeal, while easier on the tummy, is a multi-grain. Also the tanks can be washed and used for things like peanut butter so residue can remain and can trigger allergies. If there is not a history of allergies in your family, you can try it. Just make sure to not add anything into the diet for aweek so you can tell if any reactions present.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I used rice in the beginning but I feed mine oatmeal now.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You might try rice first since it's easier on the stomach & to digest.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I've tried rice cereal at first but it would constipate my baby, she loves Oatmeal though...
    Polyana0407

Answer by Polyana0407 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Rice cereal is supposed to be more easy to digest but my youngest baby gets pretty constipated from it. I gave him the baby oatmeaal and he seems to like it a whole lot better and doesnt get the constipation with it..as long as I only give it to him no more than once a day :) aww...I love this stage!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• the oatmeal tasts better, but the rice cereal is the one our Pedi recommended to use first since it is easier to digest. But by my 2nd baby i gave the oatmeal first. 3 out of my 4 boys prefered the oatmeal over the rice. They also liked the mixed grain cereal. My 4th son did not want anything to do with any kind of baby food or baby cereal. He went right to table foods. He would not eat anything that was pureed.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The doctor usually recommends to start a baby on rice, it is easier to digest for a baby. Good Luck and have fun.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 6:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• start with rice it is lighter on their systems
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2011