Babies in Hospitals

My lovely little one is going on week 4 in the hospital since birth. He was a bit premie, but that's not why he's in there. Stuck like crazy in the NICU, every day is becoming this horrible torture for us. He should be ok, and we will get to take him home, but I'm having a lot trouble coping. Anyone else going through this right now? How are you dealing?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm so sorry. My nephew has been in and out for the past four weeks. He's home now, thank God. I don't know about babies, but my son was nearly killed in a car accident so I know what torture it is to be "stuck" in the hospital. The best advice I can give is to focus on the positive as much as possible and forget everything except your baby's wellness (who really cares if the house is clean!). Also, surround yourself with people you can lean on. You may also need to talk to a pastor or counselor (many times the hospital has them on staff) to help you cope. I'll pray for you and your family.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My son spent 6 weeks in NICU. I was there with him every day. It was a very stressful time. He was a preemie, born at 29 weeks gest. due to type 1 diabetes.
    You'll get through this, don't worry. Then the years will FLY!! My son will be 15 years old a week from tomorrow. If you'd like to see his pic, come by my page--he's a musician , an artist who draws comic strips extremely well, and a very funny comedian, who cracks up our family and friends with his impressions.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 7:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• thank you so much for your kind words!! Talon is doing fantastically, it just hurts that he has to go through all of this...
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I can't personally relate, but I will say a prayer for your little one . . . but I'm sure he won't even need it!!! Best wishes!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I haven't gone through it myself but I read your post and wanted to come by and send you my best wishes. I hope everything goes well for you and your little one, I love the name Talon by the way.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 7:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My on spent 6.5 weeks in the NICU. We even had to transfer him to a different hospital for surgery around 3 weeks old. I didn't have any kind of support group, just my hubby and family. I felt I was going to go nuts while he was in there. I started hating being around pregnant women and newborns, because my newborn was still in the hospital. So I understand what you are going through. Just remember, they seem to focus on what could go wrong, they don't tell you about the ones that come out without any problems...like my son. He was 9 weeks early, but you'd never know it now. He's 2.5 years now and healthy and smart. PM me if you want to talk. Also, join the Passion for Preemies group, there are very supportive women in there.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My son was born at 34 weeks and was in the NICU for about before coming home but I really hate leaving him in there because the only thing I want to do was being his mom, comfort him and hold but I only could do that when I went to see everyday. Everyone in the NICU was really nice and the nurse would always let us know what was going on with our son but if we need to talk to them we call the hosptial anytime. Having my husband and support of family got me though but what also got me though was knowing my son was in good hands and he was going to be coming home. He finally came home a week before christmas and we were thriller to finally have him home. Now my son is 11 1/2 month weights 23 lbs 12oz 28 inches long and is developing really well and right on track with other newborns this age but my little man is going to be turing one in 3 weeks. If you need to talk i'm here.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2008