Wine during pregnancy?

I've heard a lot of people say it is safe to have a glass of wine when you're pregnant and my doctor actually recommended that I drink a glass and try to relax since I am having contractions and I've got toxemia.

I just can't get it out of my head that "you just don't drink when you're pregnant". I was hoping to hear some points of view before I have a glass.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• When I was pregnant with my second child my doctor had me drink one glass of wine (4 oz) every other day. With my first pregnancy I had toxemia and hellp syndrome so my doctor wanted me to do everything possible to keep myself from developing toxemia. It must have worked because I was able to carry to 38 weeks before developing toxemia (6 weeks longer than my first child). I had a hard time getting over the risk of hurting my baby but I knew from experience that the risk of toxemia was much greater.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 10:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I don't think it's worth the risk because you don't know how much will do damage it could just take a little. There is also no need to drink.
    Anonymous

• i am liek you i hear it is fine but i cant stop thinking "dont drink while pregnant " lol i have never done it im to worried id blame myself big time IF somethign were to happen lol you know
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I'm guessing that you're far enough along, since you're having contractions, that your baby is pretty much already developed and just finishing the baking process. Never the less, I've always been told it's not worth the risk. That it's kind of like smoking....you never know which cigarette is the one that will cause cancer. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable drinking even a small amount, my daily cup of tea and occasional sudafed use make me paranoid enough!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 7:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• From what my grandmother says wine is actually good for you and sor your baby's heart. Personaly...im too young to drink wine but if I could I am sure one glass wouldn't hurt. Its the excessive drinking of it thats the problem but one glass should be fine.
    Mrs_williams90

Answer by Mrs_williams90 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• A small glass like 4-6 oz should be fine. I have been told that it works really well to bring down your blood pressure. Just dont get sloshed lol
    oh and it has tons of antioxidants
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 7:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• A half a glass or a glass once in a while is fine but I wouldn't do any more then that.And I would make it red wine with low alcohol content because thats better for baby.Organic sulfate or sulfite free so again it's better for baby.Red wine benifits heart and other things but only in small amounts.I didn't drink durring but I have done reasearch on it.Good luck and don't drink too fast or if you have not eaten.
    scoke19

Answer by scoke19 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• What's considered a "glass" of wine is 4-6 oz, and I would err on the smaller side of that. I don't see anything wrong with it if you are in your third trimester. Your doc recommended it, and it will help circulation for you and the baby and will help you relax.

I was also told that maximum one glass a day was fine and could even be beneficial, but I definitely share your mindset! I sat down with a small glass (maybe 3 oz) and couldn't even drink half of it because the stigma attached was too great. I felt like I was doing something incredibly wrong! Oh well...it's not like I *needed* to drink it. lol so I ended up dumping it down the sink.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Wine is fine during pregnancy as long as it's only 1 glass or 2. (i've been told 2 glasses is ok as well but if you're scared, don't try it). Red wine has the most "good stuff" in it for you, but i prefer rose blush bc it's sweeter IMO. If your doctor recommended it to you, then you've got the green light. Especially being you've got toxemia, one glass of wine will hurt you and the baby lots less than the toxemia.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I heard about this wine thing too. but i still would NEVER drink when pregnant.

To be honest I despise every woman who is drinking (no matter how less), smoking or using drugs when pregnant. I hate those women. I despise those women even more after I had a miscarriage a few years ago.

Oh and nobody needs to tell me how hard it is to quit smoking. I've always been a heavy smoker, some days more than 1 pack a day. but as soon as i found out i was pregnant i threw them damn cigarettes away. There is nothing more important than the health of you and your baby when you are pregnant. And It is not hard to quit smoking when you are pregnant. If you want and love your child u are able to quit.

Same with wine, you dont need to drink it.

I also read that beer is healthy during pregnancy. I dont like the taste of beer, nor do i drink any kind of alcohol (ever). so i dont really know haha.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2008