Soy milk

SO due to medical issues I have to change my diet extreemly. I can only eat fish or chicken [white meat] I can only have fruit and veggies; I've been having cardiac issues lately; [i was born with a heart defect and had 3 open heart surgeries from infant - 3 yrs old in 1988 to 1991 i was taken off meds at 7 yrs old at 23 now i may need another surgery]

Milk is very healthy but it can be very fatty; Has anyone ever switched from Whole cows milk to Silk soy? Is it a taste you aquire through out time?

I'm an extreeemly picky eater and I don;t like much food to be honest LOL

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 4:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Food & Drink

• If fat is the issue why no switch to skim? The vanilla and chocolate soy are awesome though! I don't care for the plain.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I very recently did the switch. Silk soy takes time. So does almond and rice milk...tastes bad at first but all three are better than HEMP.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I just do skim milk. I used to drink alot of soy, but most of the varieties we have here are loaded with isoflavones, which may be implicated in increased breat cancer risk. I don't do soy milk anymore.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I prefer almond milk over soy.
    Anonymous

• I prefer almond milk, but I can use soy in stuff like cereal and to cook with. I loved it the first time I tried it, but I wasn't a big fan of milk (cow's) to begin with. Some people I know thought it was a simple transition (like me and my BFF), while others still prefer cow's milk (like DH). It really varies from person to person. I suggest that if you really want to switch from cow's milk to something else, try one kind at a time, and one brand at a time until you find whatever you like. Some people like rice milk,some like almond, some like soy, etc. and there are several brands out there. I don't really like Silk very much, but their almond is good in my opinion.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I personally avoid soy milk/all soy products because soy is an endocrine disruptor.

I do drink almond milk occassionally which I really like. I also use hemp milk sometimes on cereal.

The taste is different and so is the texture (more watery). I gave up cow's milk years ago though so I'm more than accustomed to the alternative milks. May take you awhile but get out there and experiment.
    Anonymous

• Thanks soo much ladies!
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I love both almond and soy..it didn't take much getting used to for me for either.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I had to mix for my daughter we are trying to find out what is with her throwing up some foods
    and if her stomach is hurting and causing her not to want to eat.
    Almond and Soy
    with soy u get some milk(cow) texture but the almond sweetens it up and she gulps it right down
    ginhull

Answer by ginhull at 3:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I use rice milk. Like it more than soy! Good luck to you. It's really hard to have to make alterations in your diet. You've been through so much already!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011