Competitive sisters - help!!!

I have a 6 year old daughter who is a natural when it comes to gymnastics and was asked to be on a local team. The problem is her older sister who is 9 is not a natural and was asked to be on a less competitive team (I truly feel the Coach was being nice). The competition got so fierce around the house I pulled them both out. My 9 year old could have cared less and didn't even want to continue taking a regular class, but my 6 year old was upset. She is currently taking a regular class. Now I'm thinking she should remain on the team and I made a mistake. My oldest daughter is now saying she wants to be on the team again too and that's not fair! I don't want to invest the money on her when I know she will end up quitting. She always ends up quitting every activity she tries.

Is it wrong to let one do what she really is good at and tell the other one she can't? I have no idea how to approach this

Beckov66

Asked by Beckov66 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk to your older one about a different activity she might like, instead of gymnastics. Take the competition out of it.
    luvmebrats9

Answer by luvmebrats9 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• right, what she said. ^
    obviously, your older daughter's sport is not gymnastics. i'd try to find something else she actually enjoys, away from the younger girl's activity. that way, they can both excell at their own thing, in their own time.
    its highly unfair to not let your younger daughter participate in a sport she loves and excells at, because of your older daughter's ego.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would also get the older one into something else, that she can be excited for, that you think she may like/be good at before she signs up, karate, swimming, hip hop/dance, art, pottery, music lessons, tennis, archery, Get the older one into (whatever it may be) then see if the younger one still wants to do the team.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Luvmebrays said it best. i would let the younger one go back on the team b/c she it TRULY means something to her. Since the older 1 quits everything she tries, she needs to find something that she's great at (maybe she just hasn't found it yet)

Think about the things she likes to play with, watch or talk about. If you see something that she really loves, then maybe you can get her into it.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would let the younger one go back and find something else that the older one is good at.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would let the younger one go back and sit down and have a chat with the older one. There will be something that she is going to enjoy and be good at and you can help her with that one.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• try to get the older one involved in something she enjoys and take the competition completely out of the equation
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Let the younger one go back and find something big sister is good at.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 9:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree, let the younger one go back and find something for the older one to do.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Let the one who is good at it continue gymnastics, explore other activities for the other.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2011