How does The USA Government encourage citizens/residents to stay away from Welfare System?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont think its a Govt thing as much as a state by state issue. The reason I say this is lets take for instance my father in law. Basically was homeless for 10 yrs, living off the Govt to avoid paying child support. He lived in NY where they gave him a place to live in a hotel/motel, cash aid, and food stamps. He decided to move to NC where we live (near his son & granddaughter). First thing he did was head to the welfare office. They explained in OUR state no one gets aid like they offered in NY. They do give food stamps, however everyone is expected to work & unless you have a child you do not get cash aid. He was quite furious. Like I said it to me seems to be a state by state issue and just how much each state does depends on the state. If one is forced to work, they will. My fil got a job within two months after being unemployed for 10 yrs.

Answer by gemgem at 4:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don;t think it should be up to the government to dissuade someone from being on welfare...that is up to each individual--whether they want to take advantage of the bevy of educational opportunities this country offers--along with scholarships, grants, low interest rate loans and developing a solid work ethic!

Parents need to instill that attitude in their children, and DEMAND that they maximize their true potential and then some--regardless of any hurdles standing in their way!

I think the "safety net" has become too easy to fall back on, and as a result, too many people turn to the government to help them the SECOND the going gets tough, instead of trying to get through the tough times on their own FIRST and for as long as possible!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Government encourage citizens to stay away from welfare? No... The bigger problem, IMO? Politicians who use the campaign of MORE entitlements to gain votes...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• ^^^^This^^^^^
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• They don't. They make it to where you basically *can't* work to qualify, leaving this gap between able to provide for yourself with no assistance and in desperate need of assistance . My family, for instance, since DH severe pay cut doesn't qualify for any aide except child health care but we can't afford to live in a apt that isn't in a bad area, we have $60 a week to spend on food for a family of 4 and DH and I can't afford the insurance premiums on us so we go without. (before you bash me for being on the internet I am at McDonald's on the wi-fi with he lap top we bought before his pay cut)
    Anonymous

• con't. If I quit my job we could get aid. If I work we get nothing but we are struggling to keep our head above the water... I don;t want gov. aide and I like my job but it may have to happen soon. Me work less so we can survive. I work hard and can't get a hand up.
    Anonymous

• Where we live its not easy to get any help. My hubby is laid off right now, but with unemployment he makes to much for FS. All we can get is a program for kids that don't have health insurance. I have health issues but can't get any medical.

With cash you can only be on it for 2 years. With fs you can only be on it until your youngest is 2, after that you have to work at least 20 hrs a wk. I really think are PA is pretty good here. Its not to easy to get, or to abuse it. They also have programs to help ppl who make to much for PA, but needs help with food, bills or other things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2011