Tough Decision to Make

I am really wanting to earn extra money, I have 2 friends that sell Mary Kay and are doing Very Well with it. They suggested that I get back into it. Like I said BACK. I didn't do too well the first go around. I think I may be able to make a go of it, buck a little scared to make that leap. It does cost $100.00 to start.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

momoftaterbug

Asked by momoftaterbug at 4:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Just have to say....Mary Kay ladies scare me. They are annoyingly relentless. I had to block one after I politely told her I didnt want any more yet she kept calling and calling. I had a friend of a friend who sold it. She too, kept after me till I couldn't stand her.
    Anonymous

• I think you need to have a certain type of personality to succeed with something like that. Personally, I'm not pushy/persistant enough to try and make people buy stuff from me...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You need a big network of friends to make a go of this ....IMO..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• ANY direct selling biz is a tough sell. Personally, I don't like chemicals in beauty products so I wouldn't use Mary Kay, plus they are too expensive. If I didn't care about the chemicals I'd buy cheap Wet N Wild and other drug store brands, not Mary Kay.....I just think the majority of regular middle class ladies can't afford Mary Kay. If you live in or near a higher class neighborhood then it'll be easier to sell. There is a lady who sells Mary Kay near my house who has a Pink SUV Caddy from her Mary Kay sales.

But it's so hit and miss. I tried SOOOO many companies thinking "this one will be different" or "this time will be different" and even with doing every possible technique and advertising and marketing I never made enough that I felt all that time and effort was worth.

Lesson learned for me and I'll never join an MLM or Direct Sales company again!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I know nothing of you and your history. However, I do know that in my area Mary Kay is considered my Mom's tools, so to speak.
    AVON, however, sells very well here.
    And if the Personal Customer Service is good, you may deter them from the online shopping option.
    My reserved answer is test the the waters/ try to get a feel for the market.
    But I'd go for it!
    sayru

Answer by sayru at 5:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i do romance parties, and for awhile, i tried to different kinds, i.e. candles, pampered chef, MK.... they never worked out for me. However, the romance parties, i know i can bring in at least $2500 a month in profit. So after getting settled in from a big move, i just signed back up with my old company. The have a kit special right now for $99. If you're interested, hit me up! =)
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce).  http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/  

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products. 

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• What is different about this time? Would you be working with the same team or mentor as you did before? I think that the people you are working with and the coaching and mentoring that you receive will make all the difference. I have a successful home based business and I don't have a large group of freinds. The internet is an amazing tool! Good Luck!

Hannah Mayr
    www.lovingeveryminuteathome.com
    HannahMayr

Answer by HannahMayr at 11:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011