Is this really what motherhood is about?

my 15 month old is such a handful. she is impossible to take in public and it is a complete nightmare every time we do. it always seems like im removing her from the restaurant, store, sporting event or where ever when she gets out of control. Which means I miss out on the meal, shopping, or game. We recently went to an amusement park and i thought my baby would enjoy the train and other small baby rides but she didnt and i ended up struggling to entertain her while my dh and older dd ran from ride to ride. it totally sucked. i wish my dh would offer to deal with her once in a while but he never does. he says she scre ams more and wont calm down for him. is this really what motherhood is all about? i feel like im in prison and i cant enjoy my life right now! no bashing please...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have that same feeling sometimes. I think its normal to feel that way every once and a while. Eventually it'll get better. GL
    JordonMichelle

Answer by JordonMichelle at 4:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't want to bring you down further but...actually...yes, at times it IS like that. For every good moment you can have 10 that suck. I can't tell you how many meals, shows, phone calls, sleep, even baths I have missed due to kid related issues. I can tell you though , that as they get older it does get easier. I have a four yr old that only in the past 6 mo has decided its ok to sleep all night. BUT, you have those moments that make it melt away & eventually the good moments over take the bad & one day all of it will be a distant memory. I know its hard NOW but its not going to last as long as you think. My oldest is 20 now & my youngest is 4, so I have had a long time to see how it all pans out.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 4:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• He needs to help U!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• i have 2 a 4 yr old and 2 a yr old and there are days where I find myself just crying from frustration.... its not easy.. dont worry youre not alone ..we all go through it ...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Oh girl I feel your pain. I felt it today while wrestling my daughter in the grocery store. She is horrible in public. It's not like you can spank them. Dang time outs in public are not working either. I can't remove her from the store or we would NEVER have any groceries in the house. lol. I've been asking myself your question since my daughter was 15 months old and she is now 3. Hugs to you.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It is for some of us.. not everyone will understand but I do - email me if you want to vent or get ideas of what to try and when :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yep at times but every kid is different
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 4:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• to be honest with you, i would get a sitter for the baby when going to places like that. i understand you want it to be a family thing but its probably too much excitement for her. i have a 14 month old, 2 year old & 4 year old and most of the time we only take either the oldest or the older two to places like amusement parks, malls, baseball games, etc. the only places we can go with the whole family are "low-key" places like the aquarium or zoo, on a weekday when it isn't packed. i have taken them all to the mall but not since the youngest turned 1. i do take all 3 of them grocery shopping but before 10 am when its quiet at the store and she's not ready for a nap.

for right now, most of the things you do will have to be centered around her schedule. or, ask a relative or friend to babysit for a few hours. it would be so much easier on all of you! and it won't last forever. *hugs*
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• This is exactly what Motherhood is all about, we give up everything to take care of our children, whether or not we get any help from anyone else. I think Mothers, good Mothers, deserve a metal or something. My husband doesn't help with my 2 1/2 year old and never has, when he 'attempts' to help it only makes matters worse, so, I have been on my own the whole time. I know the frustration and I feel for you, My Mom said that it was the same with her. You aren't the only Mother that feels this way, I used to think I was crazy or something. It is just life and yes it does suck sometimes. If you need someone who has been there and still is just send me a message anytime.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• In short yes, this is what motherhood is all about :) The good parts come later tho.. At this age you will have those good days when she is being really sweet, then days she is a terror LOL.. But as they age, for the most part it does get better, in some ways it gets easier but in others it just brings more worry when they start dating, driving, going out with friends etc... You will find as she gets older you can go out to eat, movies, parks etc and she will enjoy it as much as you. Hang tight moma, it happens :)

Love the idea about a sitter when you want to "enjoy" the things with the rest of the family.. Sometimes I have left the smallest child with a sitter so everyone could enjoy the outing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011