What to do?

okay my children are going to met my dh sister and his sisters girldfriend. all the other nieces call his sisters gf titi which mean aunt in spanish. i dont want to be rude but i dont believe in gay relationships... as in i dont want to support it or let my kids thinks its okay. it sounds bad the way im saying it. i believe God made a man and woman to be in a realtionship no compromise. i feel like by letting my kids call her titi its saying its okay. im not a person who will protest or even say anything bad about that life style so i want to be sensitive to her feelings but not compromise my view. its messy and i hope it doesnt offened anyone on here. heres my question what do i do. has anyone ever been through this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• i've never dealt with this, but you are the parent. if you want your children to refer to this person as 'titi', then do so. if not, she has a name..let them use it. you aren't condoning or teaching anything. just being civil.
    for me, i wouldn't let my child automatically refer to a stranger with any term of endearment, whether the stranger was gay or straight.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Well, my son calls both of my best friends "aunt (name)", so I guess I really don't see the difference... Just calling her "titi" isn't going to mean you condone the relationship. Even though I'm very much against any kind of judgemental attitudes towards gay people. Your husband's sister, whether you like it or not, is in a relationship with this woman. I personally think it's rude to imply, by having your children treat her differently than the other kids in the family, there's something wrong with that. But... you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't think having them call her "titi" like all the other nieces is somehow compromising your views.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• How is calling her aunt compromising your views?
    I guess have them call her Miss(her name) instead
    I take it to mean that you don't want her to know how you feel about homosexuals,but you still feel the need to be rude in a way by having your kids stand out by not calling her by the same name as the others.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• It would irritate me more that my kids would be expected to call someone aunt or uncle when that person really is not. Girlfriend, boyfriend, doesn't matter to me. I'm neutral on the gay issue because I've got my own issues to worry about. That said, they are your children and it's up to you to decide what they call this woman. Personally, I don't understand why they can't call her by her name. Don't let it bother you that your kids aren't following the crowd like the others are. Parents make decisions every day that others don't like but the parents are in the trenches with their kids day in and day out. Everyone else needs to butt out.
    Anonymous

• Just like my sister who has two kids with her bf i don't let my kids call him uncle they are not married!!! Im not compromising there. So its not just because shes gay. Its because i find beauty in marriageand i want to protect the idea of marriage for my kids. I said how i was trying to explain this wasnt coming out right i think this a little more clear. i teach her tolerance and not to treat someone bad or make fun of them no matter what different about them but at the same time i have to teach her what God says. My issue is by her calling her aunt just because they have been together for a few years and say they are married they are not and yes im a christian and hes i believe in a man and a woman  that's what marriage is. I think its funny how ppl seem to say how every is free to live how they want but when i say how i live and what i believe is me being rude its not.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• the whole sanctity of marriage was ruined when adultery came about, divorce, etc. it is now okay for women to vote, for inter racial couples to get married, for blacks to vote. im open to whatever floats peoples boats.
    to answer your question, i have been on the otherside, the dark side hehe. when my girlfriend at the time came to my families (a bunch of rednecks from oklahoma) no one called her auntie. we had only been together for a year at the time. they did acknowledge her as my gf though. it depends on how serious their relationship is. are they practically married, sharing assets, house, a dog or cat?? if you dont believe in it, thats fine, teach your kids how you will outside of other peoples beliefs, your kids when they are old eough will make up their own minds. maybe just call her by her girlfriend title or her name when calling to her or referring her.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011