Thyroid??

I made a dr. app to get my thyroid levels tested. My dr. thinks I may have hypothyroidism. Anyone else have this? I'm just curious about what I can expect at my app. how do they test for it..is it a blood test? How is it treated? My mom has it but its been 20 yrs since she had this done...Do they still use the radiation pill??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in Health

• my daughter just had a test that came back with whacked out levels - one is too high, the other is too low. My mom has Graves Diseases and Hypothyroid (I think) - the one that makes you super skinny. She had the radiation on a goiter several years ago and does have the buggy eyes from the Graves. I'm pretty sure she too takes synthroid and I know she has a heck of a time getting leveled out - the key is finding a really good Endocrinologist who will monitor you properly and make sure you take your meds. We have an appt with endo in April since she was just diagnosed and I'm hoping it greatly improves her "issues".
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• When i was tested, it was just a blood test and then they gave me synthroid. I had to get blood tests every 3 months until they found the right amount of synthroid for me.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• They check the levels with blood tests. Sometimes an X-ray is warranted and they always treat it with drugs. There are dozens of different drugs they can treat it with.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• its just a blood test. if its hypo its just a pill which is normally synthroid or levoxyl or if it hyper then they would use radiation pills. you will get blood tests done every 3 months until it is regulated then after that usually 6 months to a year.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• You will either have a regular TSH blood test or a full thyroid panel. If it is hypo, you will be put on Synthroid. If it is hyper . . . you have some options. Radiactive iodine is used to kill the thyroid . . . you might have that choice if you are dealing with hyper, volatile hashimotos, or thyroid cancer. If it is just simple hypo, though, it is very easily treated with synthroid.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Thanks for all the info ladies :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• they can check your thyroid levels in your blood t3, t4, tsh, and can tell if you are not making enough, you will usually get some medication to help with this. most people take a bit to figure out the amount of medication they need. good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 11:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2011