Homemade baby food--HELP!

Iwant to make my own baby food, but everything I read has different ways of processing or freezing. What is the best way to make, and what do you freeze it in?
Thanks

Meltopia529

Asked by Meltopia529 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• When my kids were little and I made it, I used ice trays then put the cubes into zip lock bags. Thats the easiest way.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I would puree with a little water. Put it in ice cube trays to freeze then wrap the cubes in cling wrap and put the wrapped cubes in zip loc baggies labeled. 1-2 cubes per serving depending on your trays and how much the baby eats!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• do u know how long it lasts in the freezer?
    Meltopia529

Comment by Meltopia529 (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Depends on what food your freezing. It usually takes 3-5 hours to freeze solid.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I pureed whatever food I cooked for the rest of my family with one exception. I included a little vitamin-fortified formula. I wanted to make sure that my child received all of the vitamins he would need to keep him healthy. I put any extra baby food in the ice cube trays for freezing. It is easier to thaw out one or two cubes, and it is not as wasteful.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 5:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Trust me whatever you make, as long as you don't make a ridiculously large amount won't be in the freezer long enough to go bad.

When I made my daughters I would cook the fruit or veggie in a pot with some water. If it was fruit like apples or pears (or both) I'd add cinnamon as well. Then I just used my Magic Bullet. I'd fill it with what I could, add some water and blend until smooth. Then I'd pour into glass jars or plastic containers. I'd put a few in the fridge for the week and freeze the rest. I'd say if I made a batch of organic applesauce I'd have enough for a dozen meals.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I used ice cube trays! Because the food is more concentrated, it's almost one cube is like one jar of baby food. That's because you aren't adding all of the starch! Once the cubes were frozen, I would just pop them out and put them in a zip lock freezer bag. I had little plastic containers that I would put them in for travel. But for at home use, I would pop out what I wanted and put them in a three section electric baby plate. Defrosted them very well and they were done by the time I changed the diaper. I made fruits, veggies and all meats. I felt really good about doing that for my child. So wonderful that you're taking the extra time to do that too!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 8:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I saw an ad on tv the other day, they have made a baby bullet. Remember the magic bullet? Now they have a baby bullet to chop up food for baby food. It looked neat.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2011